• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it realistic to train for multiple attackers?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. There's situational awareness and positioning considerations that you'll want in order to get out of that situation, and it's better to train to be aware of those than to just roll over and give up just because attackers - who aren't in their business to duel, just to pounce on apparently easy helpless prey - decided to do one of the easiest techniques to tip the odds available to them.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Unless your in a school yard fight, more than likely, your attacker will not let know their coming. Fighting more than one attacker gives you that sense of awareness that you'll need when attacked. After that first punch lands you better be able to adsorb the shot, diagnose what is happening and then react.

Its difficult enough to learn how to fight against one person, let alone 2 or more. Most of the time, you'll still be using the same techniques. Train to fight one, primarily

Its difficult enough to learn how to fight against one person, let alone 2 or more. Most of the time, you'll still be using the same techniques. Train to fight one, primarily

Primarily yes. My comment was based on training to fight more than one on occasion. Every few weeks we line up for a 3 or 4 person sparring drill. The drill definitely has that element of surprise and confusion.

Let me tell ya'll a story. I was standing in line talking to a friend and student who is a professional fighter.(amateur at the time) He was on season 8 of the Ultimate Fighter and i'm a bjj black belt. So any way, we're talking and this guy comes up standing very close to us staring. So finally he says what do you guys do about multiple attackers. (we were talking about training and wearing fight tshirts) So I said get out of there. Be a track star. He disagreed and started to compare styles and said they do this all the time. We passively engaged in this convo for a bit before I finally said, well if you are that sure, lets go outside and you can prove it by fighting the two of us. Now his tune changed. Well no cuz you guys train! Whatever.

My point is if you have any kind of physical, aggressive individuals ready to kick your head in, you are naive to think you can stand against them.

Best thing is to be aware of your surroundings. Recognize a situation as it arises and remove yourself. Right guys?

I agree that if faced with mulitple attackers being a track star is always the best option.

if you are closed off from an exit and have nowhere to run, then "flip em the bird and die like a viking" lol...

(in other words go out fighting)

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

Nice..."die like a Viking." I like that.

I agree with the track star idea, too. If training for multiple attackers, I think the proper training is what is crucial....like learning how to position the attackers so you can face a minimum of them at a time, and always working toward solution to get away. The likelihood of standing victorious over 3 or 4 guys is likely fairly slim. Training this the right way is important.