• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Iain Abernethy

Jeffrey

This week we hosted Iain Abernethy to do a 4 day clinic. I know there was some mention of him a few months ago about weather it was worth it to go see him. After four days of Naihanchi and Chinto Bunkai demonstrations I would recommend it. Iain was great instructor with an easy to follow demonstration than into a live drill. The techniques built on each other. What impressed me the most was that he said these are what he has learned from the Katas and not so much this is the way it is. He presented the Katas with both Wado and Shotokan versions.

I was really surprised by the number/lack of lower belts that attended. I felt that the lower ranks could have gotten a lot of beneficial insight as to why we do Kata. As a green belt I learned new ways to look at things mostly. The techniques were great but as lower rank I felt I would have gotten more with a better understanding of the katas. Something to look forward to I guess.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of the benefits of learning applications as a lower belt is that the martial arts base being formed is more practical and lends itself to insightful awareness. "Aha!" moments can better come to you when a new kata is learned, if only through the practice of knowing how to look for the techniques/applications. It's far more constructive to learn (which includes practice) at least some applications as you go along, rather than jam them all in when reaching dan level.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'm very envious here Jeffrey. I would love to have Mr. Abernethy close enough to drag the lower belts, and myself, to see him for the day.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Here's my dumb question...

Does Ian Abernathy come to the USA? It appears that Canada is as close as he gets.

From what I've researched and the like about Mr. Abernathy is that I'm quite sure that his insights would benefit Shindokan.

Well, I guess I'll email him to see if he'd come to the USA.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

sensei8,

I think he's getting to the US in some seminars this year. Washington state I believe. Doesn't help me much, but might be within travel distance for others.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Here's my dumb question...

Does Ian Abernathy come to the USA? It appears that Canada is as close as he gets.

From what I've researched and the like about Mr. Abernathy is that I'm quite sure that his insights would benefit Shindokan.

Well, I guess I'll email him to see if he'd come to the USA.

From what I undersand we as a group of clubs paid to have him come here to visit. This included his stay in Toronto, Edmonton, and Calgary. The shotokan Club also helped in getting him to Edmonton as well they we used thier Dojo one night.

When you use the word insights it is more of a base for learning then here is what it all means. He has some good free articles on his sight that cover a little of the Pinan/Hinan kata that are very useful.

Joesteph you are correct in that learning at lower belts the applications is great way to develope a natural awareness of the techniques. Sure makes kata fun again. Not that it wasn't before... I mean for more fun.. oh what ever LOL!

I would like to get to one of his seminars some day, too, although it might be tough, not knowing any Shotokan or Wado forms. I've read a few of his books, and I think he's got a good system of teaching.

I would like to get to one of his seminars some day, too, although it might be tough, not knowing any Shotokan or Wado forms. I've read a few of his books, and I think he's got a good system of teaching.

That's a good point. I've talked with a few who normally attend Kanazawa Sensei's Seminars, and they say that Kanazawa Sensei conducts OPEN Seminars for all styles of the martial arts. This is an interesting point because if one isn't familar with the Kata's, for example, that Kanazawa Sensei will practice/drill on, how's one going to benefit from it?

Kanazawa Sensei know Kata's that I don't know, therefore, I'd probably just sit out that session. But, how am I benefiting by not trying?

Good point Brian!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that knowing the Kata is a small part. Understanding the drill is why you don't sit out. I have found that there are similar moves and a wide range of Kata from many different systems. You just have to see/find them.

Example. Watching a Silat video one night I thought was interesting and went to try it out the next day. I suddenly realized what I was doing was from a part of one of our Kata. HHHhhhmm Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read many of his books and own his Naihanchi/Bassai Bunkai DVD. he knows what he's talking about and I look forward to attending one of his seminars one day

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)