• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You pretty much start doin a front kick and then instead of shotting your leg straight out twist it to the side and hit with ur instep. However i'm a Karateka not a Tae Kwon Doist, i particularily dun like the kick(its not a Karate kick) it hurt the knee seemingly and its not real strong but pretty good for scoring points, if ur into that kinda thing. :lol:

"Live free.

Die well..."

Korean, ya mean turning kick or roundhouse (which are the same thing)? I never heard the term twisting kick and I do TKD.

El, if he does mean turning kick/roundhouse, it is a very powerful kick. I was on the recieving end of one many times (my school is full contact) and it knocked me on my arse LOL.

Laurie F

twist kick is actually a very common term used for this kick it is lbest described as doing a reverse roundhouse.. it takes alot of flexibility and practice to develop power in this kick and it doesnt work for everyone..it is a specialty kick..once develop it is very hard to see or defend against and is quite brutal

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Actually if you do a twisting kick right its fairly powerful, easily enough to break a board. Anyway, the way we get taught is to chamber up, bringing the knee across your body, and then sort of throw your foot out to wherever you want to target it. That's one of the great things about the kick, you can target it to whatever height and angle you want, knee, groin, shoulder, head, someone standing in front or beside you. Its also great for sneaking up under a guard and catching people by suprise because its a fast kick.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

The twist kick is difficult to learn. It is an odd kick until you learn it properly. I teach this kick with kicking with the ball of the foot. The instep can be used also but to get the full twist the ball is much better. Lets say you are kicking with your right leg. If your left leg is forward then you want to pivot your left leg 90degrees counterclockwise so your toes on your nonkicking legs are facing the left. Bend your left knee. This is the step most people forget. MAKE SURE TO BEND THE LEFT KNEE OR THE KICK WON'T WORK PROPERLY. From there chamber your right leg almost like a front kick EXCEPT from the knee to the ankle it should be at about a 45 degree angle. From this position extend your kicking leg outward and to the side. Bending the left leg (standing leg) more as you kick. Twist your upper body away from the kick. In this case twist your upper body to the left. While extending the kicking leg try pushing your right heel towards the ceiling as th is will help align your body better.

Good luck,

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Good description Withers M.A.A.

If you go to https://www.itfhq.com/files/ download and decompress the file gb1.zip, you will see the first three moves of 1st degree ITF pattern Ge-Baek. The second movement is a low twisting kick.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Thanks Withers. Durrrrr. I feel stupid now. I know what it is. It was called a reverse roundhouse in my old school. I did it very well, actually, but it's not required in TKD, so I prolly suck at it now LOL.

I was confused, because a reverse roundhouse in my school is actually a hook kick in most styles.

Ok, now I got it straight LOL

Laurie F

Now I'm confused, I was always under the impression that a hook kick was the same as our reverse swing, essentially a swing kick reversed, whereas a twisting kick is closer to a front kick performed in an almost arcing motion.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B