• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to protect from injuries when doing strong sparring?

Hi guys,

5 days ago, I was in a strong sparring session, and this guy connected a strong hook in my left ear.

I had a strong ringing (couldn't hear anything for 5 seconds), then, a ringing for a couple of days. Now a little pain only.

The Dr. said I have an inflammation (gave me a med for this), but he didn't pierce my eardrum.

But he said that this injuries are relatively common on strong, direct punches to the ear, so that left me quite scared to return to sparring.

I mean, I don't want to lose my hearing on one side!

Would earplugs like these protect me from this? http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Uncrded-Maxlit-Lght-hearing/dp/B000RMFGGY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1274215203&sr=1-5

I don't want to wear the big ones or helmets, since I would rather use one, but no one uses at my school, so I would rather switch schools, rather than being the only one using this type of protection, I would always feel embarrassed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think earplugs will help. You have several options, don't spar, spar with headgear, ask your partners to not hit so hard to the head, or change schools. Depends on how much you value your hearing. Imo there is no embarrassement in wearing headgear because of an ear injury.

Yeah, I have to agree that sparring with hard-contact punches to the head and no headgear is cruisin' for a bruisin'. Wear headgear, and endure any ribbing you may get for it. Your brain cells as well as your ear will thank you for it.

Earplugs won't do anything for you. Nothing wrong with wearing headgear, especially if contact is high. A lot of people wear them. If you're embarrassed about it, talk with your instructor and get his take on things.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Personally, I would be very hesitant to wear earplugs sparring. I fear that, upon impact, having an object in your ear canal could cause more damage. A good head gear helps tremendously.

I have a friend who frequents concerts, and always wears earplugs. When people give him grief for wearing them, he always points to the band and says "I wear earplugs for the same reason they do." Know who else wears headgear when they spar? Most professional fighters. Just something to consider.

In my school we all wear the padded helmets; it's mandatory. We all wear boots, gloves, shin guards, elbow pads and mouth guards. You can't spar without all that.

I think it's insane to spar without that gear and without rules for limited contact, i.e., control. I mean what's the point? If one is going to get injured in class, they might as well not even learn to defend themselves.

You're asking for opinions, so I will give mine. Switch schools to one that has better safety standards.

I'm going along with most folks here. So, a little Ron White wisdom. Get a helmet. Put on the helmet. Don't worry about what everyone else is saying. It's your ear/hearing. A quick explaination should clear that up for them.

Martialart

I think it's insane to spar without that gear and without rules for limited contact, i.e., control. I mean what's the point? If one is going to get injured in class, they might as well not even learn to defend themselves.

Some gear is needed, and the harder the contact the more essential some parts are. However, if you'r not making significant contact, you don't need all of the gear. Only certain parts.

As to why learn to without large amounts of gear or with limited contact, that's very simple. If you're interested in pure self defense, at some point you have to be exposed to hard contact. In a real fight, you're going to get hit hard and it's going to hurt.

If you're training for certain competion that allows, or calls for hard contact, you have to be used to it. Boxers don't go hard all the time, but sometimes they have to go full bore. If not they will be un prepared for the fight they have coming. [/b]

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

As to why learn to without large amounts of gear or with limited contact, that's very simple. If you're interested in pure self defense, at some point you have to be exposed to hard contact. In a real fight, you're going to get hit hard and it's going to hurt.

If you're training for certain competion that allows, or calls for hard contact, you have to be used to it. Boxers don't go hard all the time, but sometimes they have to go full bore. If not they will be un prepared for the fight they have coming.

I guess it's all in what you want to do to your body. If they allow full contact to the head, but don't mandate helmets and foot boots and mouth pieces, then the school is a dangerous, irresponsible fight club. There are plenty of those schools around, especially in big cities, same as McDojos. And you don't need that to learn self-defense.

In my younger days, I had no problem switching from sparring to fighting, so I don't think you have to take hard hits that damage you in order to learn to fight. And like I said, if he's going to be maimed in class, why bother with self-defense? He can get maimed out on the street.

The worst I ever saw in Higashi Karate was a knock-out or a slightly bloody nose. In boxing, you wear a helmet and big gloves. I don't buy for a minute that a person has to risk real injury in order to learn to defend themselves. If that were the case, the military would use live ammo to train with.

But I see your point as well, if a person wants to learn to fight that way, or participate in those kind of competitions, then they probably have to train as they are going to compete. I just disagree with that kind of competition.

Use headgear, not that foam thing that you see people use for light or no contact tournaments. Get yourself protective boxing headgear. This type of headgear is bulky but it will provide the protection you need for sparring and/or training.

You don’t want to be taking shots in training that cause you to stop training.

Right, get the headgear. If you're routinely doing heavy contact to the head in class it's almost self-destructive to not wear it. I agree with boxing head gear, or depending on what you do, padded chaged headgear.

I come out of a system that likes to train/spar hard. BUT, it's done as safely as possible. No use in getting hurt in training if it's preventable.