• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira Translations

I've been doing Capoeira for about two years now. Lately I've really been getting into the musical aspect of the style. But between Portuguese pronunciation and generally wanting to know what I'm singing about, I've gotten curious about the translations to these songs. I've tried looking them up and found a couple of my favorite Capoeira songs. Most books have very vague meanings of the songs and they also tend to change from author to author and Google hasn't turned up very much that was productive. "A Navalha" and "Zum Zum Zum" are particularly difficult songs to find translations on. Does anybody know somewhere I can go to find these songs with their original pronunciation and translation?

P.S.

I know about Capoeira Holland. It's great but they don't have "A Navalha" or "Zum Zum Zum."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might try PMing Justice Zero. He has a great deal of knowledge about some of that subject matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been dealing with CERT, family emergencies, etc. for a couple weeks rather than here.

'Zum Zum Capoeira mata Um'

"Zoom Zoom Zoom, Capoeira kills one"

matar=to kill, and 'Zum' is just "Zoom", equivalent to an English song that would have something like "Doop bop doobidy wha!" as a line.

A navalha is a razor blade..

I don't know the lyrics of the versions you're working with off the top of my head, they're not songs we sang much if ever for whatever reason.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia