Robbo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, you will never eliminate it entirely, but you can (and should) work on drills to reduce it.

Again, forums are not the place to try and obtain such skills, you should ask your sensei.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I agree, it's a factor sensei8. Also a factor is movement choice. Some are just better or worse, when talking about telegraphing, than others due to the mechanics needed to execute them.

Hence, my dislike of working from a step thru punch. :)

If I felt it were a good tactic or tool, I would. The fact is, there are tools that do the same job without the unneeded motion. I'll continue to work on those instead.

Perhaps I should've stated it this way instead...

EXPERIENCE lessens telegraphing.

For me to totally eliminate telegraphing, I'd have to be perfect, and I'm not perfect.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A great exercise that reduces a lot of telegraphing while letting you work on technique:

Face a large mirror standing in a natural position. Then, without warning, fire off a gyaku tzuki while stepping into your stance. The key is NOT to count ("1,2,3") or in any other way anticipate what you're going to do. You want to see yourself standing naturally then in a blink of an eye you want that gyaku tsuki. By watching yourself you can learn to eliminate your telegraphs and by doing it without any kind of anticipation you can also increase the speed of the technique.

Hi was just looking for some advice on how to improve the speed of my Gykuzuki. ie Training drills etc etc.

I can throw a Gykuzuki but when it comes to stepping towards an opponent i think it becomes quite slow and in sparing i don't score much with it.

Looking back at your OP, Robbo, I wondered if you meant the speed of performing the reverse punch, or the speed of step & deliver. If it's the latter, do you find yourself first stepping and then striking? By this I mean, do you notice a slight pause, a time lag, between your step and your delivery?

It's somewhat like block, pause, strike. Even a brief pause in that example makes the technique slow--and less likely to work. Have you practiced not going for power but for as close a step & punch as possible in terms of time?

I learned from a Jeet Kune Do instructor that Bruce Lee reached the point in which he was punching faster than he blocked, meaning that if a punch were thrown at him, his punch landed before his block reached what was incoming!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Focus mits (spot pads) can really help with the twitch response

Especially if your mit holder is good at what he does.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I'm gonna agree with tallgeese here. A punch with a step through will always be more telegraphed than the punch off the front arm. No matter how good you are or how experienced. Its got further to travel and the leg is moving too. Whole lot more to see.

I like that drill Kuma, might have to try it sometime.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius