• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving my Gykuzuki

Robbo

Well now that we all have established that Gyakuzuki is one of the strongest techniques.

Now for the debate of the century, heel up or down?

I prefer heel up because it allows me to achieve more hip rotation.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question!

Heel down is fundamentally taught in the three K's as well as in makiwara training. Heel down maximizes the ability of the foot to absorb and re-deliver reaction force coming back from contact with the target and through the body to the floor. Fundamentally speaking!

Should the heel be in the up position so that it allows the technique to be executed at a slightly higher linear velocity?

Should the heel be in the up position because that's possibly the current believe of sport karate?

Should it matter that the basic theory doesn't apply when you're moving in a forward direction?

Should the heel be in the up position because its a more natural position for the ankle, although that doesn't mean it's more effective?

Should the heel be in the up position, much like a boxer, whereas it's considered more like a push instead of a punch?

Should the heel be in the down position because it's possible to generate much more acceleration forces while maintaining heel contact to the floor?

Should any of this really and truly matter? That's for one to decide for themselves through thier own trail and error.

Again...the heel up or heel down question still exists. Therefore...

I prefer that my foot/heel to remain ALIVE AT ALL TIMES! Heel up or heel down is determined from situation to situation. Atlas, one over another is a preference of the martial artist, and not of some pedagogical dogma.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well now that we all have established that Gyakuzuki is one of the strongest techniques.

Now for the debate of the century, heel up or down?

I prefer heel up because it allows me to achieve more hip rotation.

And greater reach?

In "Ido Kihon" it is typically performed with the foot flat on the floor.

But remember Kihon is kata at the end of the day, so it is performed with this purpose in mind.

When we come to performing the technique (in application) - this is where we lift the back heel off the floor (if appropraite).

Maybe the bigger argument is whether you push from the back leg or pull from the front?

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Just throwing one right out there at any given time should probably not be your go-to option. A combination can be one way to put it out there, but it's not the only thing you can do- you can throw it after a block or evasion, or when you notice a moment of lapsed concentration on your opponent's part, or when footwork has put you on your opponent's blind side...something that'll decrease their chance to react for it.

in sparring, does the gyaku tsuki have to be part of a combo to be effective?

or can you just throw one right from a fighting stance?

If you look outside the box that is karate, one of boxing's strongest punches is also a rear straight. However, if you watch a boxing match you'll see it's rare to see a fighter who will throw a rear straight as the initial punch in a combination. This is why they jab so much.

Hi was just looking for some advice on how to improve the speed of my Gykuzuki. ie Training drills etc etc.

I can throw a Gykuzuki but when it comes to stepping towards an opponent i think it becomes quite slow and in sparing i don't score much with it.

Looking back at your OP, Robbo, I wondered if you meant the speed of performing the reverse punch, or the speed of step & deliver. If it's the latter, do you find yourself first stepping and then striking? By this I mean, do you notice a slight pause, a time lag, between your step and your delivery?

It's somewhat like block, pause, strike. Even a brief pause in that example makes the technique slow--and less likely to work. Have you practiced not going for power but for as close a step & punch as possible in terms of time?

I learned from a Jeet Kune Do instructor that Bruce Lee reached the point in which he was punching faster than he blocked, meaning that if a punch were thrown at him, his punch landed before his block reached what was incoming!

Sorry but my net is playing up. I was basically meaning drills to improve the stepping in and speed of delivery. I have been using cable weights in the gym and sparring lots. I know Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take experience/ time to improve the speed of delivery. When i am sparring i find it hard to know how to step into it to hit the opponent. Might sound weird lol but hitting bag is easier than a moving target. Should i step out with my lead foot or should i shuffle my back foot up then step into it. Perhaps squats would allow me to cover ground easier?

Maybe the bigger argument is whether you push from the back leg or pull from the front?

Chitsu

I must admit that I pull from the front forcing my shin towards the ground.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.