• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving my Gykuzuki

Robbo

Hi was just looking for some advice on how to improve the speed of my Gykuzuki. ie Training drills etc etc.

I can throw a Gykuzuki but when it comes to stepping towards an opponent i think it becomes quite slow and in sparing i don't score much with it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically...

Speed = Double-end bag! Training partner Focus pads! Spar!

Power = Heavy bag! Makawara!

Have fun and good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There's a following drill that can help you, but, beginners can't do it. Problem for beginners is...either their fist lands before the step or vice versa INSTEAD of ending at the same time. So why bring it up?

Do Oi-zuki to a wavemaster, but barely touch it. Then move a tiny bit towards the wavemaster, NOW do Oi-zuki again, but with your opposite fist. You'll see that you can't...effectively. You're Oi-zuki will be weak. Why? No penetration. No focus. Nothing. Your posture and stance will be all over the place just trying to do Oi-zuki. Fist and step MUST END AT THE SAME TIME.

As far as the your other concerns, practice until the wheels fall off and then some. Before you know it, your concerns will have disappeared.

Hi was just looking for some advice on how to improve the speed of my Gykuzuki. ie Training drills etc etc.

I can throw a Gykuzuki but when it comes to stepping towards an opponent i think it becomes quite slow and in sparing i don't score much with it.

Speed Training-Loren W Christensen

Amazing Book :wink:

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Speed come from your legs and hips. Rotate your hips more on the punch and focus on getting your feet towards your opponent faster. The hands will always catch up with the feet.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

I am not a big proponent of stepping forward with the back leg to deliver a punch in sparring. Sure, it will have power, but that step kind of telegraphs everything.

I am not a big proponent of stepping forward with the back leg to deliver a punch in sparring. Sure, it will have power, but that step kind of telegraphs everything.

Telegraphs of the attacker are only read because of their inexperience. Spar until cows can actually fly over the moon.

sensei8, I can see your train of thought here. But, regardless of experience level, one will always see attacks coming more often from further away. Hence, when stepping to deliver a punch, one is more likely to see if regardless of skill level.

That's why jabs will always land more frequently at all levels of skill. Then, for power, crosses are favored by most people I train with becuase they don't rely on any large steps to be executed. I get the same effect without the transit time and hence am more likely to land this sort of blow.

I concur with you Alex! I also see what Brian was saying.

Non-telegraphing is an art by itself, many have tried to master it, but few have.

If we take a gyaku that is performed without stepping - in the most part it can only be considered as a "fairly" close range technique - typically counter punching techniques.

Greater hip rotation (back heel off the floor stuff) will afford you greater reach - and you can teach yourself how to deliver this fast (the key is to snap close the front groin rather than pushing off the back foot).

The physiology of the body however always means that a reverse punch has further to travel than a front punch, but there are ways to expedite this.

Taking out telegraphing - as already mentioned is a good starting point (not that hard btw if you know how), but also we have to remember that we are not fighting in a ring here. The toe to toe stuff is what boxers do.

In my group we practice a stepping technique called "zenshite". Basically it means to punch as you step (same arm to leg ratio), typically done to jodan (head) its is designed to disguise the stepping motion that carries the gyakuzuki closer to the target.

Maybe look to the renraku waza that your group has - for some insight.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.