• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"The Turn" for yellow belt grading

luigi105

Need help guys.

Im grading tomorrow and i am fine on everything except one thing,

Once you have completed a line of a drill (say step front kick) what are the different turn and blocks for the yellow belt grading.

I have asked my teacher as we all know he has not gone over them but he seems to think he has. all of the people grading tomorrow dont know the turns,

Is there a turn and block for each drill?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Need help guys.

Im grading tomorrow and i am fine on everything except one thing,

Once you have completed a line of a drill (say step front kick) what are the different turn and blocks for the yellow belt grading.

I have asked my teacher as we all know he has not gone over them but he seems to think he has. all of the people grading tomorrow dont know the turns,

Depends on what the syllabus is for your group.

Typically in Ido kihon (junzuki, gykuzuki etc) there is a formal block that accompanies a turn.

When practicing Keri-waza (in Wado kihon anyway) it tends to be done in Hanmi gamae (fighting stance) and the turn is accompanied by transfer of "kamae" - not a formal block per-se.

You must ask your instructor. Its his job to get you ready for your grading.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

i also just passed my yellow belt. Although the instructor calls the turns out. i remember these by using this

the kicking drills and combo = mawatte Hanmi gamae (turn left fighting stance) kiai on first, tenth and turns

Junzuki = mawatte Jodan uke. turn and block up. (Jodan = junzuki) JJ

Gykuzuki = mawatte Gedan bari . turn and block down Gykuzuki = Gedan) GG

Gykuzuki = mawatte Gedan bari . turn and block down Gykuzuki = Gedan) GG This is the same for us as well. But Like Chitsu mentioned I would ask your instructor what is required.

Don't assume - be clear before you go into your grading.

Jodan(age)uke follows junzuki in my group also, but I know of at least one other Wado group that follows Junzuki with sotouke jodan.

I remember an examiner we had in our group once that would deliberately throw in a different block to the prescribed. He did it to keep people on their toes and to stop them from being robots.

You could argue that was a little unfair, but the ones that did the block he requested inevitably passed.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Typically...yes there is/are, but which ones, that greatly depends on the teaching/grading syllabus. Again, ask your sensei or your sempai! If you don't know, or you're unsure, my suggestion to you would be...don't test!

Chitsu and Jeffery, and even Robbo, have given you solid advice!

Good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!