• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you openly discuss your training with people?

I'll admit, I used to have a personalized plate that said BUSHIDO. But, I lived in a town where pretty much everyone knew I was an MAist, so it was no secret.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talk about it openly. It's all over my truck because I am a school owner. My license plate says"I'd rather be tapping you out". which is just funny. But honestly I hate to talk shop. It's what I do many hours a week. So when I go to say a friends bday party and their next door neighbor wants to tell me how talented there child is and how good at it they'd be... it's torture. I talk about it all the time it's good networking and good for business. But sometimes I wish no one knew for at least a few hours. lol

The first thing I am always asked though "are you registered?" which I usually smile and explain its a myth. And how people get the misconception on it.

Oh, oh..... Funny and true story: not long ago, while getting some work done in my kitchen, one of the workers (who spent much more time flapping his lips, than working) saw my heavy bag in the backyard. Said something to the effect of:

'Better not let me play with it, I'd break it like that. [snaps fingers] Yeah, I'm a 5th degree blackbelt in Karate, I had to register my hands as weapons back when I lived in NYC.'

I was really dying to ask what style he practices; knowing that most non-MA-ers aren't even attuned to the fact that "Karate" has many different styles and disciplines......and that everything he just said was total bull (except for the living in NY part, which was obvious by his accent). By the looks of the guy, the only things he's registered for are frequent cigarette and pizza buyers clubs. So I just smirked and nodded. After all, I really wanted the work done ;-)

I'm generally fairly open about the fact that I'm a martial artist. It's part of who I am and is an activity I love to participate in, so I'm not afraid to talk about it. I don't go around making a big deal about it and tell everybody I meet, but most of my friends know its something I do.

I don't like to talk about it much because everyone starts making comments about it. Basically, I don't like talking about anything that's important to me because I know someone (especially my family) will put me down because of it or at least make a statement about it that makes me feel really awkward. I don't hide the fact that I do it and if someone asks I'll tell them about it, but I don't volunteer the information or talk about it beyond that.

Besides my mom and sister I only talk about martial arts if someone asks me about it. Some of my friends that have asked ended coming to practice out of interest.

<3

As a general rule of thumb, I will lie about a karate based event, injury or otherwise, simply for the fact that I would much prefer others to think of me as an unskilled fighter because then less fights will ensue.

Faith without deeds, is worthless

~Namaste~

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, I do. I don't always give a lot of details... mostly I talk to non MA friends about how it has been improving my life, physically and mentally. Sometimes it sparks the interest of someone who used to be into martial arts but had to stop for one reason or another. I'm kind of hoping to gather up enough of these "strays" to start a little group eventually, a group of people interested in the martial arts who want to explore a bit, maybe work out and train together, maybe demonstrate their specific arts so others can learn a thing or two.

I don't brag about being awesome. I'm not awesome at it anyway, hah!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.