• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you openly discuss your training with people?

He he, hey Jake, does your father-in-law ever beat you? I hope so, becaue I'm always for the underdog. :)

Sometimes, I let him, get his shots in and say he was to quick. I do not want to destroy his Cuban ego every time I see him (even though it is absolutely hilarious), but 9 times out of 10, I'm not that nice because he can be such a pain in the behind.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After tonight in class (see post on sparring), I've decided it's not a good idea for me to talk about my training with people at work. They wouldn't understand, and it would probably give them the wrong impression. I certainly wouldn't talk about it with patients.

If they know I train, fine. If they ask, I might give minimal details, but I'm beginning to see it's not about being ashamed of martial arts, it's about not feeding people something about you they can't understand.

Exactly!!

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

My spouse and I have different views on this. We are both no longer training at our former school, however when we did, if someone asked me about an injury, I would tell the truth about how I got it. I was never ashamed of it nor did I brag either. It was a huge part of my life - as a matter of fact - outside of my job, that was the only spare time activity I had time for. So why should I conceal it?

My spouse on the other hand, believes in refraining from speaking about it unless you are talking with other martial artists. Sometimes you will encounter an idiot or two who tries to challenge someone who is a practicing martial artist and that can lead to "unpleasant situations."

Now that we no longer train at the school we used to, we don't mention it unless someone asks or brings up the topic. I still have great interest in it though.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I hate to admit it, but i usually go for the white lie. Like if i am limping from getting kicked in the leg i will just say i had a rough workout. Which is true because sparring is a workout :brow:

but i usually go out of my way to avoid telling co-workers about my MAs...

I guess I just don't want anyone trying to mess with me because of it. And i don't want to sound like i am trying to be a tough guy or whatever. And also in the back of mind, i just want to keep the element of surprise. If no one knows i study MAs then that just gives me all the more advantage if i am ever confronted. yeah... it's tactical :D lol

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

I talk about it if asked; even my dentist knows I do TKD! He always asks what's new with it when I see him every 6 months or so for a check-up and is really interested in what I do. I didn't use to tell people much about it but I figure its just another hobby and will talk about it if people ask me and if they want to know more. In that respect its no different from any other sport or hobby. Plus its hard not to let people know where I get bruises from or where I disappear to on weekends.

As far as family and all that go... I usually get told to shut up by my parents and my sister (who does TKD herself!) for talking about it too much as they don't really care. Only person who listens to me is my grandma who's really interested in it... actually I found out a while ago that my grandad was heavily involved in the Guyanese boxing association and so I think she has an interest there..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I always tell the truth. There is nothing wrong with it. Most of people in my environment don't train karate (they don't train martial arts at all) but I'm always honest if they ask. Because they don't train it I'm not talking about it unless they show interest. I don't want to bore them with my training. In most cases they prefer to talk about soccer.

Be strong and be yourself!

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

• 3 weeks later...

No. I usually try more like, not take the conversation there, IF the person is someone who I think wouldn't "understand".

*Heh* I've thought I'm the weard one. I know some people who are almost too happy to discuss about their Martial Art and training to people who aren't close to them or anything (Hardly knows them). I'm not saying it'd be wrong, but there's some arrogance with some guys, when they talk about it.

And the injurys... Even if we forget about the style itself.. everyone doesn't understand, why would anyone want to do and train something that hurts, you know. Something that you might get hurt quit bad too. And that's one hard thing to explain for someone who doesn't do any Martial Arts. It just leads the conversation to the area that you might not be that comfortable with. :lol:

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Is training something you discuss with others (non-martial artist) in casual conversation?

Lets say you hurt your leg sparring and your limping the next day at work - do you tell people what happened or do you tell a white lie?

Just state the obvious -- you injured yourself ;-)

Since I work in a cube farm, and most everyone I work with is a total square..... Telling this line in response to....oh, uh, say.......cauliflower ear, spurs all sorts of behind-the-back whispering, speculation and rumor. People inventing reasons to cruise by your office, craning their neck to get a look. Rather entertaining, really.

So, no.....I really don't go out of my way to discuss my training pursuits. Other than with people I'm close with, obviously. Not that I'm 'ashamed' or anything, I just don't feel the need to advertise.

Edited by mr_obvious

Well being that I also have tattoo's (if you see my FB page you'd understand) especially one on my arm of Kanji I'll get asked. I'm not ashamed of what I know or what I like. Heck 30 yrs of training, studying, teaching I have gotten to the point its part of my life and attitude now.

I also like to spread the word cause I am in the process of opening up a actual school here where I moved too and bring some of the sensei's teachings to the schools here (drugs and bullying are really bad and some of the teachers want a positive influence with someone that is dedicated to help stopping it).

The first thing I am always asked though "are you registered?" which I usually smile and explain its a myth. And how people get the misconception on it.

But I dont keep it secret even with family/friends/co workers. I like them to know I'm someone that can be trusted even with bad times. its a trust thing and I always found if they cant trust you who can can they trust.

What about those who have a personalized license plate?

Would that be the same as being open?

Possibly some plates like....

BLKBLT

SENSEI

MARART

*THDAN

TKD

WTFTKD

ATATKD

GOJU

KUNGFU

KARATE