• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you openly discuss your training with people?

When I talk about karate with friends who aren't martial artists, they're far more interested in my children, David and Patrick, than they are in me. When I tell a "war story," it's about how the boys have had to defend themselves against bullying. (More than one time, I might add!)

When asked why I'm no longer studying at the same school as the boys, I respond that I'm no longer needed to assist, so I'm at a school that has contact sparring instead of the non-contact they do. The response is usually that it's great that they've progressed so that their teacher no longer needs me to assist. No interest about me that I can see.

Shown up by my eight-year-olds. As a father, I love it! :lol:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind talking about it and haven't had a problem. A dude that is that intent in starting a fight will probibly find a reason to one way or another. Besides, how else are you going to talk new people into joining :) .

This is true. I have tried to get a few people that I know into it with NO luck.

No. because no one else is interested.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I'll bring it up to those who aren't MAists occasionally, but not often. But no more often or in detail then I would discuss other things folks have little interest in. I probably wouldn't discuss a friend's stamp collection, because I have little interest in that.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Never, unless I am in the company of someone else who enjoys martial arts.

Unless I am with my father in-law who is a big, big boxing fan. I love to debate with him what is better. Sometimes even physically, being that he used to box. It is the only time I can double leg him, and go for a submission ,without my wife or mother in-law getting mad at me.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

I will if someone asks. I try not to talk about rank too much, but I'll discuss it if it comes up. I like to talk about it, especially with someone who is willing to listen.

After tonight in class (see post on sparring), I've decided it's not a good idea for me to talk about my training with people at work. They wouldn't understand, and it would probably give them the wrong impression. I certainly wouldn't talk about it with patients.

If they know I train, fine. If they ask, I might give minimal details, but I'm beginning to see it's not about being ashamed of martial arts, it's about not feeding people something about you they can't understand.

I think more people would understand it than you think. How many parents are there of kids out there that Wrestle? Lots. How many of those kids' moms have likely Wrestled? Not many. But, I'll bet they find the time to talk with their kids about it.

Sure, there are some who won't understand everything you talk about, but if you break it down into small doses, I think most people will get the picture.

Now, I wouldn't just engage in the conversation just for the thrill of it. But, I think that a lot of people see and hear so much about the MAs these days that more will understand it than you might think.

If people are interested and ask questions, I discuss my training with them. When it comes to work, I prefer being open about it, for instance because sometimes I have bruises and I want to avoid speculations around that.

Regarding what people understand or don't understand..well some will have their (negative) opinions regardless. I'm not going to give them an extra reason by being lofty or evasive about my activities.