• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ATA current expansion.

Well, as most of you may not remember, lol, I am in the ATA and don't worry it is getting better, and yeah there are still some schools that are less than reputable but people are starting to realize that we are about the art as well...too bad eternal grand master isn't around anymore he would fix things..anyways I thought I would update on what is going on with this revolutionary/mcdojang place.

1. ATA has added creative forms and creative weapons.

2. There is stick fight sparring now.

3. MMA fights have also been added for 1st degree black belts and up.

4. They have finally added a uniform physical exam to moving up.

So, I should mention I have practiced WTF as well but ATA I've noticed really advanced TKD. I also do Wushu now as well as traditional Kung Fu, but the only problem with ATA still is that they are still money hungry...

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting.

How are they defining 'creative' forms?

What are the rules for their stick sparring and 'MMA fights'?

How are they ensuring that the physical will be enforced?

Creative forms are anything a student makes as long as there are no 540 rotations because that is the rule for XMA, you must do a 540 in your form for XMA.

As for stick sparring you can hit anywhere in the body but the groin obviously even the head, it is sooo freaking fast and the first to ten points wins.

MMA fights I believe it is any type of hit and when you get on the ground you get ten seconds because the idea is that if you are on the floor longer than that, then you shouldn't be there so they stand you back up.

The physical is being enforced for all black belts and above so no more fatty black belts lol...sad but true...but I guess unless you go to one of those less than reputable schools.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

What standards are used to evaluate the 'creative' forms- does the student actually have to have martial concepts behind the techniques, or is it just whatever looks awesome?

You can't spar with actual sticks and no armor without an unacceptable injury rate. Do they use armor, or softer stick-substitutes, or both?

There's a lot more to MMA rules than time spent on the ground. What kind of gloves do they have them using? Are they actually permitted to achieve victory by knockout? Are their rules against doing 'non-Taekwondo' things like throwing punches in combinations or kicking with the shin rather than the foot? Is standing clinch work permitted- knees, elbows, standing subs? Is it done in a ring, a cage, an open area with painted/taped boundaries, or something else? How many rounds are fought, and of what length? How are fights judged?

For creative it has to have a martial concept, I believe they wanted people who weren't doing all flips to be able to compete.

For stick sparring yeah they have created a softer stick and we still use our gear on.

For MMA they are creating their own MMA gloves, probably to make money, but you can use UFC gloves or any type of MMA glove so far. They are also creating a kind of boxing mask/headgear to get people to wear after they saw many girls beat the heck out of each other lol. The fights are done in an open area, all hits are permitted, you don't have to use TKD but REMEMBER TKD was the first MMA so it really means any type of martial art you learn.

Hmm, maybe knockouts shouldn't happen though I dunno about that one because the ATA really likes to teach about self control...so I'll tell you when I find out lol, I will surely be competing in this since I do many arts already and love more challenges.

- Bruce Lee

Let me know about the event's rules: post them in their entirety if you can. I remain quite curious to know if they're serious about stepping things up or if it's just going to be a publicity stunt.

(I'm just not going to touch that bit about TKD being the first MMA.)

Lol, I understand, I just said that of TKD cuz it was a bunch of schools put together. But anyways, I believe it was partly a business decision to feed on the popularity of MMA that is recently happening but I will get the rules up as soon as possible.

- Bruce Lee

I am curious about these developments, as well. I started my career in the ATA, and like to see what's going on from time to time. Stick fighting would be fun, and the physical requirements are probably a good thing, as long as they aren't too outrageous.

I'd like to see the MMA aspects of it as well. I remember when they started their Protech programs, and offered ground fighting based on BJJ as one of the programs.

And, no, TKD wasn't really the first MMA. :)