• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Movie of the Week: The 13th Warrior

Ah, I always enjoy this movie. Vikings and mystic enemies who really end up being just savage men.

This movie is what I would refer to as a mini-epic. I love the characters, and the plot.

Based on Michael Crichton's book Eaters of the Dead, and having read the book as well, I find them both enjoyable. Crichton's book is actually a revamped take on the Beowulf saga. Good time, indeed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got this one in the collection. So the book is a good read too?

I agree, a good, fun movie. Not anything I would call "historically acurate", but a fun film.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm a big fan as well. I've never really thought of it as a pure martial arts movie, but I do love it.

• 3 weeks later...

There is fighting in the movie, and the duel scene does lend quite a bit of Martial prowess to the fighter, both physically, and how he mentally defeated the oppononet. He essentially rope-a-doped that guy.

And even though the fights are with weapons, I still view them as Martial Arts types, that's why I throw this in here. I don't like to get wrapped into the old punch and kick types all the time.

• 1 month later...

I must say im quite sad this isnt more popular, its a great film, one of Antonio Banderas' best performances aside Assassins and Once Upon a Time in Mexico 8)

"Get beyond violence, yet learn to understand its ways"

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

https://www.shinkido.co.uk