• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have always been confused on what exactly JKD is? I am not sure if it is fighting concept of Kung Fu or a new style altogether. Can someone please tel me which is it?

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your confusion is caused by the fact that there are a number of major Jeet Kune Do groups, some of which regard it as primarily a style and some that regard it primarily as a fighting concept.

In my opinion the latter is true.

Even during the short time I took JKD lessons, I learned immediately that it was "a fighting concept." It's called a combative art for a reason, and what I was shown essentially follows Lee's idea to (paraphrase) "just reach over and knock the other guy out."

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 months later...

It's an art and science, not so much style. It's kind of like boxing, in that, style is more like an expression. But, there are five punches (boxing like) and three kicks; with one primary stances, and two secondary and tertiary stances dictated by distance.

you scythe with it!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of like a stylish MMA. One of the tenets is often to use Bruce Lee's idea of the straight lead, i.e. lead with your strong hand instead of keeping that back for the power punch.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 4 months later...

JKD means "Way of the intercepting Fist". In my opinion, i believe it to b a concept. I think that everyone that has trained JKD brings something new with them. allows people to learn the concepts and bring their own fighting abilitys together so that it contours with each person. I have to say, Sifu Lee should b the first person to b acedited as the first MMA fighter of or time.

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

• 2 months later...

But, there were others before him who did something similar. The idea was popularized because of him. People can make the argument for Shaolin being one of the first to "mix" systems. You have the five animal system, Wing Chun, Choy Lay Fut, etc. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was a synthesis of Traditional Jiu Jitsu, Gracie's own insights, and I think Judo. Tae Kwon Do (though its origin is debatable) can be argued as a mixture of select styles within the indigenous Korean Arts, and influences from the Japanese, and Chinese. I can go on, and on.

you scythe with it!!!!!!

The man who taught the Gracies originally was a student of Kano's, so his style was Judo. What the Gracies did was focus more on the ground aspect, and the evolution lead to BJJ, in a nutshell, if I recall my reading properly.

No doubt a concept as everybody here has mentioned. You see parts of wing chun, boxing, and fencing. There's are fundamentals taught and this is why some schools only teach the originals because he's not alive. The other school is that you can't teach it as a style.

I personally sit in the middle. I believe you should learn the original but do so in a concept manner and foster your growth in other martial arts to compliment you.

He originated by Bruce wanting something better. Essentially he was a guy who believed in what is known today as reality based self defense and MMA. In one of his schools, he had a headstone that was dedicated to oriental martial arts. It basically was wishing them goodbye because they are (not my words) garbage because they are highly restrictive. I'll have to see if I can find that photo on the internet.

*edit*

I can't find it, but here is a Black Belt Magazine done with Bruce Lee September 1971. It's called "liberate yourself from classical karate." He describes the idea behind Jeet Kune Do in his own words. It's a great insight! (starts at page 24)

http://books.google.com/books?id=rtcDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=black+belt+magazine+1971+se&source=bl&ots=bC1Gf6gdWH&sig=-iXhG-4yFrGHGksSbJRZtR4YZ-4&hl=en&ei=IIVmTdyTCYP58AaG4ti0Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false