• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Artists of Noble Stature

Don't you think that there's a difference between martial artists and non-martial artists? It seems that martial artists have a nobility, that is a superior quality and sanctification, a greater moral stature.

Now that may not be true, but tell someone you have a black belt and they tend to think you're a cut above the rest, a powerful person. Is that not nobility?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'd go that far. Seems a bit much to me. The only people that tend to care about black belts are other martial artists. Otherwise there's a 33.3% chance that you'll get worshipped from the watched too many movies crowd, ignored completely or you paint a target on your back for the wrong people. I personally try not to discuss my training unless someone else brings it up. Just my opinion.

Excellent topic!

Don't you think that there's a difference between martial artists and non-martial artists? It seems that martial artists have a nobility, that is a superior quality and sanctification, a greater moral stature.

No. Imho, the only difference is that one is and one isn't, and for me, it's just that simple. A true martial artist doesn't seek out or expects to be or desires a greater moral stature. If it does exist, it's only in the minds of the non-martial artist.

Now that may not be true, but tell someone you have a black belt and they tend to think you're a cut above the rest, a powerful person. Is that not nobility?

By its definition...yes it is. But, for a martial artist to tell someone that you have a black belt isn't noble at all. To do so would only lower ones supposed nobility to one who's lower than a peasant. Wouldn't most non-martial artists just say..."Yeah...whatever!"...whenever a martial artist would say..."I have a black belt!".

A true martial artist wouldn't bring any unwanted attention to themselves. Keeping oneself humble is nobility.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

No.

Black Belts are a dime a dozen anymore. It's hard for me to consider an 8 or 10 year old as noble. This is a child without wisdom or understanding or real knowledge of any kind.

I've met non-martial artists who are more patient, kind, and noble than any martial artist I know.

Nobility comes from the person, the actions the person will and will not partake in, the mindset that person has throughout their life, and the wisdom they use to call for actions upon their convictions.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

No.

Black Belts are a dime a dozen anymore. It's hard for me to consider an 8 or 10 year old as noble. This is a child without wisdom or understanding or real knowledge of any kind.

I've met non-martial artists who are more patient, kind, and noble than any martial artist I know.

Nobility comes from the person, the actions the person will and will not partake in, the mindset that person has throughout their life, and the wisdom they use to call for actions upon their convictions.

Same attitude as me. I don't care what belt someone says they have it doesn't mean anything, it only means something in their personal school or whatever. Because you get good blackbelts and bad blackbelts that are really just whitebelts with lots of cash.

I disagree about mentioning that I do martial arts to someone. I always mention it, if someone asks me what I do in my spare time I can't exactly lie. That is what I do, that is what I enjoy and im proud of my hobby if thats what you call it. I don't care what anyone else thinks im as good as I am and thats it, if thats not up to their standard then so what im not going to fight them over it, there is not a problem.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Absolutely, unquestionably not. There's nothing in any martial training that confers any 'nobility' or 'greater moral stature', and anyone who's impressed by a black belt is far too easily impressed.

I think our BB's think they are noble.

When they go out socializing after class even if they arent having a meeting, but just having a good time, Kyus arent even allowed to sit at their table. (except for my Sandan friend, who got really annoyed when they attacked me for hanging out there, because I am his friend and he doesnt agree with cliques)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

When they go out socializing after class even if they arent having a meeting, but just having a good time, Kyus arent even allowed to sit at their table. (except for my Sandan friend, who got really annoyed when they attacked me for hanging out there, because I am his friend and he doesnt agree with cliques)

Somehow I think they missed the lesson!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Wow. Can't image the BB in my dojo acting like that. Can't image I'd want to go out socially with people that thought that I was below them.