• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate-ka overly Japanophile?

Alcatraz

I will use hockey as an example. I’m from Canada and in Canada we often feel we are better at hockey because it was a Canadian sport. So we are a bit snobbery about it. It’s something we don’t often mean to do it is just how Canadians are brought up and it is passed on to generation to generation. Karate is the equivalent to Japan as Hockey is to Canada.

I hate to burst the bubble, but hockey is a Scottish sport, invented by Scots in Canada, in the old country we call it shinty, you all still use the word "shinny" for a game.

I'd say you're about right with karate to japan, it should be Okinawa, Hockey to Canada, it should be Scotland :lol:

But we Scots will stick with Shinty, harder game, less padding :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcatraz, I totally get what you're saying! This happened in my school a few years ago. This guy comes in and acts like a white belt. (He obviously wasn't) He was not asian, but his teacher was. He acted like they had so may great ideas and so many people got sucked into it. When he talked so many of the younger students thought he was sooo wise. Mind you our teacher was caucasion and his teacher was his father, the only asians in our school were a few of the students, none of them black belts. I do think that due to tv and movies and because the martial arts in general developed in the east people tend to be biased. They don't see technique or talent first, they see race. I think it is just stereotyping. Just like asians are good at math or white people can't dance. (by the way, I'm white, and cannot dance, LOL)

hongkongphooey! Thanks for the info about hockey, never knew that!

As for everyone else, I knew it eventually had to end with Chuck Norris! LOL Has anyone else seen the Chuck Norris jokes and posters? They are really hilareous! My brother has one and we laughed till we fell out of our chairs! Stuff like "Under Chuck Norris' beard is another fist" (stupid stuff really)

But with all seriousness, back in the day when he was part of the American Karate Association Competition team, my Sensei was on the team with him. Now my Sensei is tough and he very readily let us know he beat Stephen Segal in a fight, however he has never revealed the results of the fights between himself and Chuck Norris.

This thread has been interesting and fun!