• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate-ka overly Japanophile?

Alcatraz

I think I've been misunderstood.

My complaint isn't that the Japanese/Okinawans themselves are snobbish about thier Karate, but rather the fact that non Japanese/Okinawans have a Japanophile attitude to Karate; that somehow Japanese/Okinawan Karate-ka are automatically going to be superior Karate-ka than someone who is not Japanese/Okinawan.

I'm sure that we would all agree, that to hold to that opinion does border on racial snobbery.

Imho, stereotyping and the like has no business in any martial arts. I've known many karateka's that are superior in Karate-do, and they weren't Japanese/Okinawan.

The sad thing is that "racial snobbery" still exists today, and I suppose that it'll ["racial snobbery"] never end.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think far too often we take these kinds of isolated incidents to heart. I use the term isolated because if not it puts an entire nation of people in the same group. Where ever you travel you find people of a nation or culture who exhibit the kind of racial/cultural snobbery you are describing. It is not just a, “we invented karate so we are better at it”. It is a cultural thing.

I will use hockey as an example. I’m from Canada and in Canada we often feel we are better at hockey because it was a Canadian sport. So we are a bit snobbery about it. It’s something we don’t often mean to do it is just how Canadians are brought up and it is passed on to generation to generation. Karate is the equivalent to Japan as Hockey is to Canada.

Don’t take these things to heart. Open your self to those who think they are better because of cultural background and prove yourself through example. Hopefully those who visit can take back your examples and help bring together borders and end racial snobbery.

I concur! I do a japanese ma and I'm from Canada AND am a hockey fan. and its true canadians think about hockey as "our game"

and as for the shotokan bunch....Erm. same thing

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

You know how us brits feel then.

Especially when we get beat at all the sports we invented and gave to the world.

Football - Both the proper stuff or "Soccer" as it is sometimes called and the "Gridiron" version (Rugby basically with padding).

Cricket

Golf

Snooker - (See also Pool)

Baseball

Etc.. etc.. etc..

Ahh well nevermind - It's good to have given.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

My original instructor has 40 years of experience. He is not Asian and I could care less. I'm all about what you know, not where you are from. I was told by another Instructor that he goes to Japan for his instruction, as to say that my American Sensei was not good enough. IDK way people think the way they do, but thats just how it is.

Edited by quinteros1963

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

My instructor is Okinawan, he was born and raised there, as was my Soke. But, I didn't seek them out because they were Okinawan. No. I chose them because I wanted to learn karate and I wanted to know how to defend myself. How and why and when my Dai-Soke came to be in Canoga Park, California is unimportant...I found him, my mom could afford the price, and I fell in love with my Dai-Soke. At 7 years old, I doubt that I was of that type of a mind frame to decide what my sensei should be: American, Chinese, Japanese, Okinawan, Purple, Blue, Orange, Left Handed, Right Handed, Speaks any english, speaks no english, educated, uneducated, an orange, an apple, a sports car, a little red wagon, or whatever. I just wanted to learn karate, and for me, it was just that plain and simple.

Now that I've been with my Dai-Soke forever, I still don't care if he was all of the above or not, because I love him and I STILL want to learn karate, and all that is the martial arts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You know how us brits feel then.

Especially when we get beat at all the sports we invented and gave to the world.

Don't forget rugby!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 weeks later...
I've enjoyed this tread. But to be perfectly honest, if Chuck Norris were Japanese, I'd fear his roundhouse kick even more.

:brow:

To tell you the truth, I think the fact that he's not Japanese makes him even more awesome. Asian martial arts stars are a dime a dozen. Chuck Norris is awesome because not only is he a martial arts god, he's also a straight up Texas gunslinging god. And when he roundkicks you, it's not in barefeet, it's with cowboy boots on.

I've enjoyed this tread. But to be perfectly honest, if Chuck Norris were Japanese, I'd fear his roundhouse kick even more.

:brow:

To tell you the truth, I think the fact that he's not Japanese makes him even more awesome. Asian martial arts stars are a dime a dozen. Chuck Norris is awesome because not only is he a martial arts god, he's also a straight up Texas gunslinging god. And when he roundkicks you, it's not in barefeet, it's with cowboy boots on.

Back in the day apparently Chuck Norris came to compete in a tournament that my sensei has put on for the past few decades. He didn't win, but he did well. Years later my friends and I were talking about Bruce Lee after training. Sensei walks past us and says, "Meh, Bruce Lee is good actor.... Chuck Norris is good fighter."

lol!

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 3 months later...

Hi John, i've just found this forum. I feel a sort of half quote from the wizard of oz coming on " why should we travel the world when all we need may be in our own back yard?" You mentioned Hamish Adams in another thread, A man I never had the chance to train with. I did train with Tommy Morris, Pat McKay, Davie Coulter, Ticky and Dominique to name but a few.

Mind we wiped the mats with the Japanese back in the early 80's. So I'm with you, unless there is something special to offer, i'm happy with good guys I can find close at hand. Iain abernethy included.