• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniform question?

quinteros1963

Is it disrespectful to wear a gi with a different schools patch on it to a new school. I have a realy nice gi from my old school, and don't know if its ok to wear it or not.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if i had a say i say don't wear anything from another school or art..... please

a week ago one of my Senpais wore his shodan BB - from Judo! to Shotokan which was embroidered with his name on it in gold japanese, to shotokan (with us he is 3rd dan) and our sensei wouldnt stop looking at him weird ....these weird looks like 'what you doin' kinda thing

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

idk... one of our instructors wears his belt with "tae kwon do" embroidered on it all the time. No one really thinks much of it. But he never wears a dobok or any tae kwon do patches on his uniform or anything. That would be disrespectful. But the belt thing, for some reason, isn't seen as disrespectful-- it's just a black belt.

Is it disrespectful to wear a gi with a different schools patch on it to a new school. I have a realy nice gi from my old school, and don't know if its ok to wear it or not.

As a sign of respect to the new style/dojo/sensei, yeah, by all means, take off the old patch and put on the new patch.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It depends on your new school. Some would be okay with it, and some would not. I'd guess that most would prefer you not do it. Definitely don't wear it to a tournament, and I'd avoid wearing it to official functions.

Patches can be removed, but it often leaves discoloration or pinholes. A new patch can be sewn over this if the new patch is large enough and shaped correctly.

Here's an ugly solution. At some tournaments, you're not allowed to wear any patch, so people will cover their patches with tape. It's pretty obvious, but it satisfies the rules, and it might satisfy the etiquette of your dojo.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Because we're on the karate forum, I'm going to assume you're talking about a karate school. In that case, it's a good idea to change the patch to that of the school where you currently train or simply wear no patches at all. You're instructor will be able to give you more information on that.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If it's just to the first few lessons then I would think that most instructors would be fairly lenient as long as you swapped it for their patch within a few weeks. The places I have trained have all been fairly cool about it as long as it is not done week in week out or worn for a grading or anywhere else that photographs might be taken.

If in doubt ask the sensei, (s)he's the guy you would be upsetting!

If I were to go to another school, I would wear my all white gi until I got a feel for the other instructor. It really depends on the instructor.

If you were to come to one of my classes, I always loved the Karate Kid methodology - "Karate here (points to head), Karate here (points to heart), Karate never here (points to belt). It is a uniform and a belt, for 95% of the time it is useless. If we were going to a seminar, tournament, or something formal - I would request my students that are coming with me wear my patch/uniform/belt. Beyond that - I am not particular.

Be safe look new, then ask the instructor.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com