• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strangulations and chokes

I'd agree that by blue in BJJ one should be versed in alot of chokes and at least be on their way to being able to teach them well. Blue's a pretty big rank as far as time and experience goes. Most schools with blues of any time will use them to help new people along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with you tallgeese, but blue belts really shouldnt be teaching a whole lot. Alright, basic stuff on beginner guys is granted, but a blue belt doesnt have the technical knowledge and knowhow to really understand the moves that hes teaching.

i.e. so blue belt shows the move, any questions, ask his instructor.

"Put this here, and this here and squeeze" goes a long way toward clearing up questions or troubles. It may not answer all the technical question, but it will go a long way.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

True story. All my blue belts can apply them and teach them in detail. Of course they have lots of time and practice in front of them to become efficient at catching them on higher level practitioners but the average requirement is that they can teach what they know. If your experience differs that's because the most bjj programs are bogus with the instructor having little to no formal training with an actual black belt themselves. When looking into a school that claims to offer bjj, be sure to look into the instructors credentials.

Jumping in late but agree here totally. In my JJ experience it is a requirement of the rank.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

True, but, a blue belt's skill should be sufficient to teach to the depth required of a white belt...if Professor has done his job.

8)

That's a very solid point!

Just as in karate. A blue belt should be able to assist a white belt until the white belt goes....aha! I'm sure that most, if not all, martial art styles have and allow upper belts to help/assist the lower belts. Teaching, yes, that should be left to the instructor, but, the blue belt isn't teaching in the context of the instructor. The blue belt is just helping a fellow practitioner, and everybody needs help once in a while.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If your blue belts are choking the crap out of the white belts as they should. Then they should be able to pass on the info. But as to whether they have instructor status... no. And do they have any business teaching? That depends on the areas access to a black belt.