• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strangulations and chokes

my instructor says that strangulations are when you cut off the blood seply and then knocks you out...but a choke is when you cover the windpipe and cut off the air taking much longer to knock them out, i think whenever i try to strangle in my judo it doesnt actualy work i think they only tap out becuase it hurts....anyone got a video or can they tell me how to do it right....i get it right half the time but the other half is just rubbish...just need some help

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oooh. I don't think that I'd feel comfortable in trying to 'teach' someone how to properly apply a choke on a forum. I'm for what Toptomcat said...

"Get some hands-on teaching." because nothings better than hands-on training.

Good luck with it and let us know how goes the training.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you don't have a qualified instructor guiding you, you'll smash someone's throat. I remember when it was popular for the "sleeper hold" to be taught to police, prison guards, and security people, but too many who "learned" it were taught by friends who barely knew it themselves. There were some deaths by strangulation applying what was thought would knock somebody out.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Definitely ask your teacher for the technique.

Physiologically we can talk about it, though. A strangle affects your carotid arteries on the sides of your neck. These cut off the blood supply to your brain and cause a person to fall unconscious within seconds, with death being a very real possibility if you don't let go as soon as they're out.

http://www.musc.edu/intrad/procedures/cad.shtml

Chokes affect the airflow of your opponent, effectively cutting off their air supply and making them unable to breathe. These, however, can take a few minutes to make your opponent fall unconscious.

http://judoinfo.com/chokes4.htm

I'll throw some rough numbers at you...

It takes 25 lbs of pressure to break the larynx, while only 5 lbs to collapse a carotid artery.

So, even a "choke" that is applied in a sloppy manner will still render someone unconcious before killing them, unless you're doing a "night of the living dead" zombie badguy choke with two hands across the throat.

Chokes can and do hurt, but again you'll most likely choke the person unconcious before collapsing their windpipe.

True story. All my blue belts can apply them and teach them in detail. Of course they have lots of time and practice in front of them to become efficient at catching them on higher level practitioners but the average requirement is that they can teach what they know. If your experience differs that's because the most bjj programs are bogus with the instructor having little to no formal training with an actual black belt themselves. When looking into a school that claims to offer bjj, be sure to look into the instructors credentials.