• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grading and promotion other styles

I wonder, in grading, testing or promotion is it done only between specific karate styles? or can different styles grade and test other styles and if so what are the creteria?

Every technique has a counter technique.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While a kick or a punch looks the same regardless of style, the forms (kata; self-defense techniques; etc) are unique to each style and only someone trained in that style can accurately assess the candidate. I could not tell you if a Tae Kwon Do candidate performed his kata properly as I have no idea how it should look. For tournament judging purposes I can opine if it was done well, but I never know if it was done properly.

You usually only find a style grading another different style if the candidate is cross-grading. I have seen and been a part of testing where a candidate was tested on the merits of his old style by a very highly ranked member of another style. this occurred because the members being tested were no longer able to be tested in the style they belonged to for one reason or another. In this case the previous instructor could no longer be located. The rank that they were given was in the new style as you can't give rank for a style that isn't yours.

The TKD school I go to actually honors any rank you were in from another TKD or TSD school, they will also see how advanced your kicks and punches are if you are from Muay Thai, Kung Fu, or any other art. I believe they will give as high as a red belt because a black belt would mean you would know all about that style. Unless you were a black belt at karate or TKD I guess.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...
While a kick or a punch looks the same regardless of style, the forms.

Not necessarily. Two of the styles I train (Yoshukai, Shorin-Ryu) have unique subtleties, not just in application of striking techniques, but blocks and stances.....as well as Kata as you mentioned.