• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What you learned last night

karateronin

Being the first of the mark as a great effect on your opponent.

This shows you are giong to dominate the mat and gives a great psycological (I think I spelt it right) advantage

Some time ago one of my junior students ws beaten before he got on the mat (in fact e refused to fight).

His oppnent made a threat to him prior to his bout and continually stared at him. The sad thing was the other guy was`nt that good.

Know yourself and you will master others...

Steve Leak

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Karateronin,

I have also been in that situation but I carried on and I think I won the ref did not tell him and I so it was really a draw.

C U L8R.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Michael Bullock

1st Dan

Karate International

Black Belt Schools (UK)

(Modorator of Fitness & Health)

It's called intimidation and i use it a lot... The guy who did the staring is obviously a smart character, cos he probably knew he'd get thrashed so decided to play mind games. It's an effective tool if u use it right.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Mind games are what win fights all the time. Without it, no one can win. Even if you are evenly matched, it is the one with the attitude and the poise who will win the fight.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

A good example of this is one of my old school mates that i got into HapKiDo... he won't even spar me because he's afraid. He's never even fought me before cos i psyche him out before i even throw a punch. He just backs away. Mind you he's only on his second belt and has only done it for about a year... so u can't blame him for being a little jumpy.

Higher grades are always a little intimidating to fight.I know this from expierience.When I come to spar most of the time I get put with higher grades(shodan,Nidan).But I look at it this way,You can learn a lot from somebody with more expierience than you.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

Oh i forgot to ad that i only got to my second belt in hapkido before i had to move. We were both whites at the time but i had just had way more experience and he was crapping because he though i was gonna hit him with a spinning heel or something.

I keep telling him to learn thru experience but he just refuses to have a go... i think my psyche worked a bit too good on him...