• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Afraid to Go Down

Lupin1

So we've been working on a lot of take down things at my school, and although I'm still not up to the level where they generally expect people to start being a good uki, they're still starting to expect be to be able to just tuck my chin and go down when people are practicing take downs with me. The problem is, I can't make myself do it. I always get really scared for some reason and I try to dance my way out of going down or I move my foot to try to soften the impact (which makes me land on my foot, which could hurt it). I just can't seem to make myself just go down, especially on my back. Any advice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not the only one. I tried to take down a brown belt during training one evening and she just stiffened and didnt want to go down because in her words she 'didnt like it' and was 'afraid to go down'

Heck, I don't mind being taken down. In fact, I wanna do it.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

So we've been working on a lot of take down things at my school, and although I'm still not up to the level where they generally expect people to start being a good uki, they're still starting to expect be to be able to just tuck my chin and go down when people are practicing take downs with me. The problem is, I can't make myself do it. I always get really scared for some reason and I try to dance my way out of going down or I move my foot to try to soften the impact (which makes me land on my foot, which could hurt it). I just can't seem to make myself just go down, especially on my back. Any advice?

Unfortunately the only way you will ever get comfortable being taken down is... being taken down.

Pick someone that you feel has a lot of control and try to work with that person. Knowing that you will not be man-handled by your partner will help you relax and a relaxed body allows the move to flow. Working with the same person will also take some of the shock feeling out of going through the moves. When you work with different partners it allows you to get accustom to being grabbed in different way. By using the same partner you will have your shoulder, wrist, etc grabbed in the same manner.

Whatever you do... don't stop trying. :karate:

Take a judo class, even if only for a short time. The first week or so will be almost exclusively about perfecting your breakfalls and getting comfortable with getting thrown.

you do have to be taken down to get better at it. The way I got better was breaking it down into a set of movements, like a kata. When you first learn a kata you just break it down and learn what to do. so first start on our butt and fall back making every move you are supposed to do, using your ab muscles as a way to slowly let your self down. this will take the "crap I am falling" and replace it with "what do I do next."

Take a judo class, even if only for a short time. The first week or so will be almost exclusively about perfecting your breakfalls and getting comfortable with getting thrown.

Of the other advise that's been offered, this is by far the best advice for you in addressing your fears.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like what Toptomcat and Sensei8 are saying. I practiced breakfalls first, found that controlling them myself was a comfortable intro, and now when someone does a takedown with me as uke, I'm fine.

If someone such as I am, with positional vertigo (I can't do tumbling w/o getting dizzy), can desensitize to takedowns, Lupin, you'll find you're able to as well.

Good luck with it. :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Where I study they start teaching "slapping out" at an early level, however they start easily. They have the students crouch all the way down and simply roll back and slap out in order to get the right timing. Once they do that, you stand a little higher and a little higher. Even after all these years I cant simply let myself fall backwards from a standing position, but I have no problems with takedowns. That might be a way to ease yourself into it. Helps get you used to that falling sensation as well as getting your body used to what to do so you're not flailing randomly.

well that kinda sucks but you know, i started judo where the first thing to do is learn to breakfall to spread your weight out...if you want to know how to break fall you realy should go on youtube where loads of people can tell you how to fall...learning how to fall gives you an idea of how soft it actualy is even fallung rom a head hight....i EXTREMELY recomend learning to breakfall, go with the throw not against it and it will be ok :)

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect