• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the bigger they are...

Pajarito21

In point sparring, person with longer reach obviously has certain advantages. So does the fastest person. These natural advantages obviously help in any fight, but they are accentuated by point sparring where the fight stops on each point, since the opponent has no chance to respond. So, for example, it might be difficult for a smaller person to get inside and strike or throw before being tapped by the taller one.

I prefer continuous sparring myself - there's more opportunity to think about and develop particular fighting strategies and test them and less advantage to the person who can tap first.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Am I just ranting or am I coming up with valid points? Let me know.

Mostly ranting, I'm afraid :-)

If you know there are points for getting hit, you should just adjust your distance so you don't get hit.

As bad an example this might be...Bruce Lee proved OR showed that it was possible to defeat a larger person. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, 7 ft 2 in, went against Bruce Lee, 5 ft 7.5 in, in "Game Of Death". Anyway, it was just an example!

:)

It was a film wasn't it - not real life?

If we are referring competitive sparing or "shiai" then of course the taller player will "statistically" have the advantage over the smaller competitor.

This is why in most comps; there are weight categories so that the playing field is as fair as possible.

That said many comps have an open weight division - and these are often the most entertaining of the day, as faster more agile smaller guys work hard to take on the big fellas - and the stats don't always bear out.

But that's comps at the end of the day - and real world fighting is different.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Hi Pajarito21

I just noticed that you are a wadoka.

(So few of us about these days)

Being smaller than your opponent is where "infighting" comes into play (talking real life fighting not Shiai here).

Of course Otsuka is famed for creating Wado's unique "Kihon Kumite" paired kata which focuses on learning the principles and stratagems of close range combat...

Does your group practice these?

If not could be the missing link - in terms of your understanding.

Chitsu

Being smaller than your opponent is where "infighting" comes into play (talking real life fighting not Shiai here).

Depending on the rules of your shiai, of course.

Depending on the rules of your shiai, of course.

There are rules in Shiai

There are no rules in real life.

As detailed in my post I was referring to the latter.

Chitsu

@chitsu We do practice Kihons but at a higher belt... I usually fight off my limited tang soo do practice and my back ground of scrapping. but most of all I get frustrated with the advantages of the taller opponent in the sparring session. I love non stop sparring so when someone might have a chance to tap me they get to pay for it dearly. But, can't wait to do the kihons.

• 2 weeks later...

Get in real tight and you'll take away his advantage. I'm 6'2" and I hate it when my opponent gets "inside my reach" because I then can't really score with good technique. It seems like once my opponent figures that out, the more challenging it becomes to win. My two bits. :)