• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the bigger they are...

Pajarito21

So here is the problem, I think, with point sparring. There is two in fact. 1st, the point that someone who is 6'5" sparring a 5'3" karateka has the advantage in the sparring but yet in a real fight someone of the smaller stature, that understands how to fight, can just as easily win. The longer the person the more they just have to reach out and tap you on the forehead when the smaller stature person has to hope to get inside and strike where it is legal. The other part I feel is problematic is when some one attacks me close enough to hit it counts as a point. But, the reason I didn't block is because I know how much distance that person has and understand that the attack is noneffective because it won't land. how can it be a point when it isn't even a hit? Am I just ranting or am I coming up with valid points? Let me know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Make no mistake- size matters no matter what ruleset you're operating at. All other things being equal, a good big man will beat a good little man, full stop- even in a real confrontation. Point values reach somewhat more than real combat, true, but don't go from that to the conclusion that size or reach are totally neutral factors in an actual confrontation.

If you didn't block because they were too far away to hit you, that's fine- just a weakness of the scoring system of no-contact. But you said they tapped you on the helmet, and there's no such thing as an extreme of someone's reach that they can touch you with their closed fist and still fail to deliver a full-power blow: indeed most straight punches are at their strongest at arm's reach. You aren't getting hurt because it's point and they're pulling their punches, not because you've found some distance that lets them tap your forehead but not punch your face.

The bigger person is, in most cases, always going to have the advantage. Longer reach, more mass, takes a lot more to take them down... only benefit of being small is its generally easier for you to be faster.

The other stuff you listed is just a general problem with competition. If the smaller person wants to have the opportunity to get inside, they have to be quick. That or try continuous sparring instead.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The bigger person is, in most cases, always going to have the advantage. Longer reach, more mass, takes a lot more to take them down... only benefit of being small is its generally easier for you to be faster.

The other stuff you listed is just a general problem with competition. If the smaller person wants to have the opportunity to get inside, they have to be quick. That or try continuous sparring instead.

There ARE other advantages. Your hips are lower, so you have an easier time doing some kinds of throws. Once you get inside, you can find ways to strike that make the defender's long limbs more a liability than an asset. It's easier to hit certain low targets, like the liver, groin, and legs.

Agreed that the advantages are far outweighed by the disadvantages, though.

Didn't think about them.. Although the smaller person has more mass to try to throw. Not so sure about longer limbs being a liability, if they do get within the punching kicking range, switch to elbows and knees.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

As bad an example this might be...Bruce Lee proved OR showed that it was possible to defeat a larger person. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, 7 ft 2 in, went against Bruce Lee, 5 ft 7.5 in, in "Game Of Death". Anyway, it was just an example!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

.... the harder they fall ;)

Seriously though, while there is valid points about people pulling punches when they go in for the 'tap' I have seen numerous examples where a tap that could not have been anything more HAS scored points in matches at various competitions... I dont like that and is one reason im not partial to point-sparring.. Anyway, enough of that.

In reality (in line with the points about Bruce Lee) 'in-fighting' is for the most part just as, if not more, effective that flailing and 'out-fighting', which is where the muay-thai/kickboxers clinch comes in. Short compact punches are devestating.

I think people tend to forget a simple fact of physics (Newtons Laws), that power is a consequence of acceleration, thus increased speed before impact will raise power just as much as the input force...... look up the equations ;)

Just my two cents.. :)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."