• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rakanken Kata

seijin777

Greetingz fellow travellers....hoping someone out there might have some intel on print resources (PDF/books etc.) or region free DVDs containing the 4 sets of the complete Okinawan Kata RAKANKEN...or the Luohan/Arhat/Monk Fist Boxing source quan....this is a rare kata and not readily accessible in the west.....any tips will be greatly appreciated...

peace y'all...

Gimme kata kata kata.....and more kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's the one that's mainly a Shorinji Kenpo thing, right?

The kanji for it might help.

EDIT: Oh, I see. 'Rakan ken' uses the same characters as 'Luohan quan', 羅漢拳, which I suppose is why you mentioned them as the source. Some, all, or none of this might help. I'm seeing occasional references to 'Rakan ken' as a drill or two-man set, not a kata per se: I'm also seeing mentions of the kata Seipai being directly derived from Luohan, in which case it might be the same thing under a different name, or at least partly related to it.

Thanx Toptomcat....goju seipai is my favourite kata...and, despite some interesting stuff, even the southern luohan forms on the Utube link you so kindly posted bear no resemblence to the rakanken i'm learning. McCarthy Sensei (who translated the first english version of Bubishi) teaches the form as it is described in that text....he learned it from a Tomari Te exponent during a stay in Okinawa.....thanx for you effort...

Gimme kata kata kata.....and more kata