• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Movie of the Week: Gladiator

Well, my work schedule now keeps me up late at night, with nothing much to do but post on KF, read, and watch movies. Of course, most of my favorites are Martial Arts related movies. So, I thought when I was watching one, I'd post about it here, and see what y'all had to say in return to my ramblings.

This weeks movie, on 04/28/2010, is Gladiator, with Russel Crowe as Maximus. This is one of my favorite movies of all. I love the background, and of course, the fights. I enjoy the storyline, too.

I really like Maximus' character and qualities. I think the movie can break up into thirds as to the story makeup.

In the first 1/3 of the movie, we meet Maximus, who has a nickname - "General." We see many people refer to him by this one-word nickname, and he is respected, but not just for his ability to fight. He also puts the fighting into perspective as a general in an exchange he has with Quintas:

Quintas: "People should know when they are conquered."

Maximus: "Would you? Would I?"

He is respected by many, and feared by others, but not necessarily for his ability to fight, but because he inspires others, and lead them. Also, for the genuineness of his characte.

In the second 1/3 of the movie, he gains a new one-word nickname - "Spaniard." The others don't know him as a general, but they do know he can fight. And he fights for a different reason now; because he is required to, and not necessarily to entertain, much to the chagrin of his handler, Proximo. But others still recognize his character, and he still makes allies.

In the final 1/3 of the movie, he regains his "General" nickname, when he reveals himself to Comodus in the Coloseum. And his charisma saves him from the emporer, and allows him to exact his revenge in the end.

I love the story, and the fight scenes in this movie. And I'll be honest; I almost cried at the end of this movie. :roll:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That movie is so awesome! I LOVE the part where he reveils himself to the emporer, of course I love any story where someone really important pretends to be someone unconsequencial and then gets to reveal it (probably why I love Undercover Boss so much). There's just so much strength and power in what he says and then how he defies the emporer just by refusing to die... I love it. It's my favorite dude flick.

• 1 month later...

Great call bushido man. Yeah, I love this film as well. It's certainly at the top of my list.