• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help for a beginner to choose between kyokushin and wado-ryu

water93

Igree with the above statements.

I have trained Kyokushin for close to 17 years now (on and off as other parts of my life dictate), but Kyokushin is basically quite a hard style of Karate, and does focus a lot on full-contact fighting. Thats not to say that self-defense and bunkai (kata applications for self-defense) are not in there, they are quite a big part of Kyokushin, and something I personally have focused more on throughout my training as I am not a tournament fighter... In my opinion Kyokushin is about one of the most complete styles of Karate for modern self-defense, as I have done stand up fighing, ground work, self-defense and weapons defense/training in my time training at several different dojos (do I hear some ambiguous comments on this coming :) ... ).

Honestly, I could not recommend Kyokushin enough! It is quite possibly my favortie passtime.

As above posters noted, the best bet for you is to go and try out the two schools and see which one is 'right' for you :) :) :)

Good luck and OSU!!!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't usually comment about comparing styles - even when one of the styles being compared is one that I do.

Two reasons really:

1. I (and most people) only have enough experience in one - and not the other

2. In my own style (Wado) there are very good clubs and there are truly awful ones - and I dare say it’s the same with Kyokushin.

That said, I have heard several comparisons of the two arts before - one such comparison suggested that Kyokushin was "Jissen" (or combat / fighting) based and Wado was a "Goshin" or self defence based style.

I am not sure I would agree entirely with this analogy, but it does echo my thoughts that perhaps Kyokushin focus' more directly on the "fight", whereas Wado - as a traditional “Kata” based system (with its roots firmly established in the Koryu arts of martial Japan) - concerns itself more with "Budo" as part of its raison d’être.

When I started karate I had no idea that "styles" existed - I thought karate was karate. I had been training for about a year before someone made mention of "our style".

Although I would agree that as a consumer it is always best to do your homework (and the interweb makes this so much easier), to an extent I think you have to go with your gut and if you like it stick with it.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Wado-Ryu gets my vote - if you're looking for limited contact. Kyokushin is a style with a lot of contact.

"Karate is a lot like hot water. If you do not constantly heat it - it will once again become cool water".

I found some full contact wado ryu video on youtube (mma fights)!

In our dojo all Wado fighting is full contact - It's just controlled full contact.

We call it Jiyu Kumite.

Chitsu

In our dojo all Wado fighting is full contact - It's just controlled full contact.

We call it Jiyu Kumite.

Chitsu

Could you elaborate on this, I mean, what does controlled full contact mean? Do you consider Kyokushin to be uncontrolled full contact?

I think he means you make contact but dont aim to knock down youre opponent. I would have said that was Semi-contact to be fair, as Kyokushin is full contact and the aim is knock the opponent down and keep them there.

I train in what i would say is semi contact in Shotokan, with karate mitts it stops you truly damaging your partner but you can still hit them :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zpjthh.jpg

We call it Jiyu Kumite.

Chitsu

Could you elaborate on this, I mean, what does controlled full contact mean? Do you consider Kyokushin to be uncontrolled full contact?

No, but we are talking about a different process.

At risk of stereotyping - maybe we have the "physical" conditioning of the "Kyoku-ka" versus the evasive/atemi/aiki- jujutsu conditioning of the wado-ka.

Although the platform may be the same, the process is different. Either way, the only way to find out is by fighting.

Chitsu

• 4 weeks later...

I would study Ashihara if there was a 3rd option. I don't know much about kyokushin apart from the kata are Shotokan/Goju kata. and Sosai was to me an awesome Korean who created a world first in Modern Karate

Kyokushin has some really good ethos and it prepares you for real fight situations and the fitness can be extreme in various Dojos, I would practice Kyokushin for this purpose. the way kyokushin karateka have a "brotherhood" is second to none (except Ashihara and Enshin of course). Kata is practised but Kumite is the main focus.

If however you were looking at kata and 2 man "self-defence" techniques with Semi contact sparring the Wado is the one to study, I practised Wado for 4 years and I must say its quite blinkered in its ethos to its style etc.everything must be done to perfection. I practised an Ippon Gumite on a karateka from another style and guess what............it didn't work.

I'd google the 2 styles attend a few classes from each before deciding which one to do. not the Pinan forms are very different so cross training in them would not be a good idea.

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)