• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help for a beginner to choose between kyokushin and wado-ryu

water93

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner who is looking to get into a new hobby and have come across karate. In particular there are two clubs that ive found that look good one is kyokushin-kai and one is wado-ryu.

Can anyone tell me the differences between them, i am having trouble finding info about both.

I am a 16 year old female who has been unwell for the past 3 years, so am probably looking more for a low contact karate as ive heard theyre all different.

Thanks for any help :)

Edited by water93

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before I give my opinion, I will just say that I practice Matsubayashi-Ryu and only have minimal knowledge of both of these styles.

Firstly, Wado-Ryu (which is more similar to Matsu then Kyo). Wado-Ryu from the limited views I've had often can incorporate some forms more Jujutsu looking techniques in addition to 'standard' Karate. A main aspect of Wado-Ryu from observation is on tai sabaki (body management/evasion). As you mention contact may be an issue, I would recommend Wado-Ryu.

Secondly, and briefly Kyokushin was designed by Mas Oyama as a style of 'stand-up full contact' karate. It's focus is on physical stamina, robustness and toughness as well as 'realistic combat' whilst allowing full contact attacks to all areas excluding groin and punches to head.

Kyokushin will be heavier on the contact, Wado-ryu less so.

There are more qualified people to speak on these 2 styles, pre-apologies if I have made a misrepresentation of either style.

EDIT: If you go to Wikipedia.org I'm sure you can find some information on both of the styles.

Cheers,

Edited by RJCKarate

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Really, if you've narrowed it down to only two schools it's probably a good idea to try a trial class in both of them. Your personal compatibility with the schedule, teacher, and students at the two schools are more important factors than how well-suited you are to the style in general.

... so am probably looking more for a low contact karate as ive heard theyre all different.
Overall, if contact is your issue - do not take Kyokushin, and go with Wado-Ryu.

In general, I agree with Sycron. Kyokushin is usually heavy on contact. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. One Kyokushin instructor I know had a kids class that he dialed down. If you only have two choices, don't assume anything.

Like the others said, check out the two dojos. The particular style is often less important than the individual instructor and how he runs his classes. Taking a class would be nice but you can learn a lot by just watching a class, ideally the class and instructor that would train you.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

G'day fellow travellers.....don't discount the role of teacher/learner relationship....remeber its all about people.....trial a few classes, meet the folk....pick'n'stick....

Gimme kata kata kata.....and more kata

There is a heapload of Wado Ryu stuff on YouTube and I would guess that there is some Kyokushin on there as well so you could take a peek at some videos and see what you like. I would still say that going to watch or participate in a class at each school is the best way though.

I am not to impressed with kyokushin videos because these fighters don't attack at angles. The style is too linear because It's diluted karate. Gogen Yamaguchi goju ryu and Shotokan. I suggest going to any okinawan karate school since these schools teach deadlier moves and tactics!