• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

more Karate in the UFC

explosive_power

Another problem you have is many "fans" of MMA hate traditional arts now and only believe MMA is the right way to fight. I think both sides of this argument needs to chill out a lot.

A very true thing. A lack of love on both sides when all any one wants is to train. Get over that and there are more good people to train with.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is really a shame what has happened to martial arts over the past 20 years. I guess that's the way in this country. They look at Karate as great for TV but not for fighting. Also a lot of people tried to capitalize on the popularity of Karate due to movies and put Karate on the front of all the store fronts. Some were some were not like I know of 3 TKD places and they say Karate so does a JKD place by me. Also Tiger Showmans however he spells it went from TKD to Karate to MMA in my life time. At no point did those schools teach anything that was a true art and it has really hurt Karate as a whole in this area.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

I think also, with the advent of MMA as it's own niche art, we need to stop to consider that perhaps we need to make sure that students are training inthe right venue to meet their goals. If a student is bound and determined to fight MMA, then why try to keep in in a traditional karate school. It is not striving towards his goals. Better to refer him to a quality gym more focused to developing and integraing multiple diciplines related to fighting in the ring at those specific venues. Kata is not pushing him towards his goal, nor is time spent in tradional weapons or stances. Get him somewhere he can maximize his time.

I think this is a good point. The goals of the practitioner are going to play a big part in selectin what they want to do, and instead others are worrying about what styles are "represented" in MMA.

Cool. What level or organization is he fighitng under right now?

I'm not sure, it's not televised or anything. But search Jason David Frank MMA on youtube and you can find his fights.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma