explosive_power

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not entirely sure what started this argument in the first place, I realize that certain training methods can be seen as unnecessary. We all have prejudices on certain subjects based on our background. My background is in combative martial arts and mma, therefore i personally do not see the value in kata, yes, i have done kata, i actually enjoy kata from time to time. But i do not see kata as something that would help me in a combative situation. We are all martial artists, i have respect for any system that someone would choose to train, hey all have their merits. All i ask for is that same respect in return.

Just a quick note to clarify.

isshinruy, I don't think anyone is claiming that you need to be such an advanced level at anything. We'er talking about covering the bases as to have an informed option should the need arise.

Most states that issue concieled carry permit for handguns do not mandate that those who obtain such a license to be able to operate with Delta. They do mandate a basic understanding of operation, safety, function, and care of said weapon. Certainly not beyond the realm of most dedicated martial artist.

Considering that most ma's do some form of weapons to proficiency it's just a matter of defining what weapons you'll most likley be using in a modern sd context. Again, if we narrow to knife, club, gun it makes this much more managable. I'd argue that it's even easier to do this than become proficient in a wide array of traditioinal weaponry.

It about generalizing tactics. Not necissarly to expert level in multiple ones. To use your analogy, the guy blowing the door with explosives is not the same guy doing surgical precision rifle work from extended range, even though both have went thru the same selection process for whatever unit they are with.

Further, the more you can mimic or overlap unarmed skills with armed ones, the more reps you'll essintially be getting of everything. For instance, my shooting stance is almost if not entirely identical to my fighting posture. Which, is what I use with pretty much any other weapon in my hand.

As to the time needed, sure it's a factor. And you'll go thru phases for sure. For the past two years, I've been focues on BJJ to the point where I train everything else less on a maintainence level alone really. Possibly with some degredation of those skills in favor of what I'm doing now. It happens. My knife/club skills are not what they once were because now, due to my job, I focus by far and away my weapons training on the handgun.

It's about setting up your training to where you're at and what you're likley to encoutner and use at that time.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, and I just want more good fighters in the UFC, karate or not. Of course,, these days I really like to see good technical grapplers more than anything :) .

I guess that's the biggest issue here isn't it? Do you want to gloss over everything or be great at one thing? The desire to actually pressure test techniques in a 100% non-compliant ring means that your bag is going to be a lot smaller, but you're going to be much better at those things.

I know the way special operations work, and of course everyone will have gone through the same courses, but like you said, each person will have a different specialty. Everyone will know a bit about demolitions, but you have one or two demolitions experts. Same with sharp shooting.

That's why I can practice my jab, straight, hook, and uppercut, but also be able to gouge someone in the eye. The mechanic of the techniques aren't different, where you aim is. Instead of aiming for the head in general, you're aiming for the eye, but if I've trained those techniques in a non-compliant manner for years, I'll have the aim to hit them wherever I want. I don't NEED to practice eye gouges to do them.

Look at a boxer who opens a cut over the eye of his opponent, he goes for it. That's just as small as an eye (until you keep hitting it), and he will successfully go after that cut until the ring doctor stops the fight.

The same holds true that the mechanics for defending against eye gouges and the like is the same as defending other techniques. That's why I took issue with eye gouges specifically. Same goes with groin strikes. If you can throw a front kick, you can hit someone in the groin. If they're a fighter, they should be trying to avoid or block the technique no matter where it's thrown. I guess that's the entire problem. There seems to be an assumption that just because you don't do illegal things to someone in a ring, you won't naturally deal with them when they come up. I just don't think that's true.

If you want a good example of someone who deals with illegal eye gouges (he's now blind in one eye because of them) and still won, look at Yuki Nakai. They didn't stop the bout either, they just took note of the illegal techniques. The judging wasn't exactly the best or safest in Vale Tudo.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

More Karate in the UFC? For me, the bottom line is that I don't really care what the core style of the fighter is. What I want to see more of is the code of Bushido in/out of the octagon, and not the unsportsmanlike conduct that seems to permeate the UFC before/during/after a fight, and I'm glad to see the Mr. White isn't going to allow those unsportsmanlike actions to continue anymore, after all, they're martial artists, not barbarians.

Yes, I'd love to see more Karate represented in the UFC because I'm a Karateka, but, the UFC doesn't determine if Karate is the effective art that it is or not, and for that fact, the UFC doesn't make/break a style of the martial arts. Why? The UFC is just a venue of its type, nothing more and nothing less.

As long as their are rules, we'll never know in a styles complete totality.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

MMA is no longer really MMA everyone does a jujitsu/muay thai type of training. Even if you have trained in something your entire life you are then trained for the MMA style of fighting.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

The guy who lives across the street from me was going into the UFC a few years back he was a boxer who trained in JKD I believe not sure but either way someone scouted him for MMA and they completely changed his style mad him turn around his fighting stance so his strong side was back again (The reason i think it was JKD since strong side is forward and I don't believe any other art does that)

He was taken to a training facility out on long island somewhere. They trained him for a few months (girl i worked with was dating him at the time so i got more info then i really even cared about... lol) After all the training they sent him out for his first match and he had no clue how to fight again. You could see he had to think every move out for a second to long so he got pounded it was really a shame because he worked so hard for it and really was a smart fighter before but they just put to much on him in to little of a time.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

I'd love to see more effective karate-ka in MMA. The problem is the most popular choice of the day is Wrestling, BJJ and Muy Tai. They are taking talented athletes and training them in those styles. Many are already coming in with a wrestling base. Its the quickest route to being a good MMA fighter, not the only way though.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!