• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that guy was using language like that in a payed seminar. That to me shows his true colors. A con artist ... not even first class. Maybe second or third. Where was the technique? Loads of counters to whatever that was pop to mind. This is the stuff that gives martial arts and martial artists a bad name.

Well the qualifications of the person who told me there is no counters found for this martial art are questionable. I won't mention his name on this forum because I hate backstabbing.

I'm not buying into that. There are only so many ways the body can move, and for the last several centuries, its the way our bodies have been. There are no moves that can't be countered. There may come a point in a technique that is "of no return," where something is so sunk in that it can be difficult to relieve, but to say it can't be countered, is not believable to me.

Aiki-jujutsu is an amazing art but it can be countered. It takes a VERY great deal of time to become competent enough to be able to use Daito Ryu anyway. I'm talking about Daito Ryu from the koryu tradition, not some wanna be jujitsu instructor calling his style aiki jujutsu to sound more authentic. My instructor has to travel to Japan twice a year to study with the ryuha master. He travels around the U.S. to train with more senior members of the style as well. He's the first one to tell you that he's still not sure that he could use aiki jujutsu to defend himself if he had to. Not because he can't do the techniques well, but because the true aiki techniques require total relaxation to accomplish. That could be a real limiter in a fight situation. lol

I heard it takes 8 years just to use daito ryu to defend yourself; however, daito ryu could be used sooner if a person were to cross trained with another art. Does anyone here know the perfect complement for Daito Ryu?

Judo. All that the various koryu jujutsu schools lack to make them effective in a reasonable span of time is good resistant randori: the principles of timing, kuzushi, and positioning that it teaches will go a very long way to making otherwise obscure and esoteric techniques much, much more viable.