• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking A Very Long Walk!

Quit when you want to. Don't do what a previous semi retired head instructor of mine did, become more and more flaky, blame the students and destroy the dojo before you leave.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't make descions based on what others will think of your legacy. They'll have their opinion of you and your actions and that's their right. Do what you need for yourself and not based on what others will think of you. As a martial artists we learn that eventualy we have to let go of our ego.

You shouldn't make descions based on what others will think of your legacy.

True!

They'll have their opinion of you and your actions and that's their right.

True!

Do what you need for yourself and not based on what others will think of you. As a martial artists we learn that eventualy we have to let go of our ego.

True!

Yet, isn't it their ego, the naysayers, that's the thing that they are having difficulty in letting go themselves? After all, the martial artist that's considering to retire has already let go, and in that, their ego has never been an issue.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that ego does become a part of it. What the retiree believes others expect of him/her start to enter into his decision, and therefore, the ego is affected, and enters into the equation. It can be tough to do, there is no doubt about that.

Do what you need for yourself and not based on what others will think of you. As a martial artists we learn that eventualy we have to let go of our ego.

True!

Yet, isn't it their ego, the naysayers, that's the thing that they are having difficulty in letting go themselves? After all, the martial artist that's considering to retire has already let go, and in that, their ego has never been an issue.

The naysayers or anyone that needs to criticize others have more of a problem within themselves. They bolster themselves up by bringing others down.

I think one should retire from teaching and administrative positions whenver the heck they want to.

But one should never stop doing martial arts (katas they know, stretching, warm ups, weapons exercises). Of course, as one gets older they may want to focus on softer kata, or even Tai Chi.

But wasn't it you who said you had 45 years in martial arts? Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, might it be time for a memoir?

But wasn't it you who said you had 45 years in martial arts? Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, might it be time for a memoir?

LOL! That's funny...and no, it's not time for a memoir because I'm nobody special!

LOL! That's funny...and no, it's not time for a memoir because I'm nobody special!

Sorry, I thought it was you who said you had 45 years in martial arts. Wait, I just looked back, it was you. And you said that you had managed to run a high standard dojo and make a living at it doing so.

I'm not sure what part of my post above you find so funny. But if you have nothing to contribute to the body of knowledge after all those decades, then by all means retire--whatever that entails for you.

Edited by Martialart

Sorry, I thought it was you who said you had 45 years in martial arts.

No, you're correct, I did say that, but, I'm nobody that's special or noteworthy to write a memoir.