• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking A Very Long Walk!

When would it be acceptable, as viewed by the general martial arts masses, if one was to retire from:

>Teaching the martial arts [Full-time or Part-time]?

>Administrative Positions?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever you want to. If you still enjoy it keep going.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Possibly some martial artists might preceive retiring as a slap in the face of those who came berfore or that that individual just isn't all that and a bag of chips. Martial artists, like, Ueshiba and Nishiyama continued a teaching schedule up to their passing. Many martial artists might see those examples of what a true martial artists is, and in that, anything short of 'that' is a failure.

Some martial artists might view retiring as quiting, no matter what positive things were accomplished in the martial arts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think there is a difference from leaving a teaching position and quitting martial arts all together. I think deciding not to teach for a given time is something that all teachers go through. Giving up martial arts practice is a kind of defeat of ones self.

I gave up teaching and practice years ago and lost my way for those years.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that one should retire whenever it's time for them.

Some of us might want them invovled forever, but if it's time for them to leave based on their needs, then we should let them, say thanks, and not guilt them.

Its up to each individual as to when it is time, and as to why it is time, is their business completely, as far as I am concerned.

One of the sad facts of life is that as we get older, for many of us, the body just won't continue to operate like it did when we were young. For the most part, the MAs are a physical endeavor, and when you can't do it anymore, then it may be necessary to pass the torch. One can still be involved in other aspects, if they so choose, or one can walk away entirely.

I'll echo the other thoughts as well.

Though their students may be disappointed and wish them to stay, if its time for them to move on, that's a decision the instructor needs to make on their own without others making them feel guilty. The decision is most likely a hard enough decision for them as it is that they don't need others making it more difficult on them.