• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your favorite Novel book...?

Creator

George, I know what you're saying about the "Wheel of Time". I read up to 5 or so as well and enjoyed them. I struggled thru the next 3-4 because I felt commited. I hated myself for reading the tenth or so and then I was done.

The cast grew too large and the time frame for each book grew to compressed. Not enough happened to advance the story after awhile. The main three charaters you actaully wanted to follow just seemed to get lost and the world, which was fantastic, just seemed to get smaller at the writing moved in that direction.

I won't read any more. Nor will I read the prequal. It's in protest, even if it is about one of my favortie charaters. No author who has been making me follow a story for decades has a right to do a prequal before the series is even finished.

Yeah, I know what you and George mean. Too many characters with too many side stories. As far as writing style, my wife thinks Jordan gets bogged down describing too much minutia. I agree to some extent, but I enjoy it anyway.

From what I hear, Robert Jordan passed away and left his notes with his wife, so she could have the series completed. Not sure how it's going to turn out, but I'll give it a shot.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I tend to agree with your wife. That's not to say that minutia isn't nice in developemnt. I think it was handled well in the first few. Lots of details that brought the world to life and such.

Let's face it, Tolkien is themaster of using it and Middle Earth is richer for it. The same initially held true for Jordan. However, as it progresses, the minutia seem to be more focused around less contributing factors and thus, became more of a headache than a device to flesh out the world.

I too have heard that the series will be finished by another author. Depending on who it is, I might (let me stress again- might) pick it up after doing a Cliff's Notes scan on events up to that point on the internet. I'd like to see how it all ends. He did really have some great things that we hadn't seen in fantasy before. That's hard to do in a setting that has been dominated by Tolkien clones for so long..

I also have to give the guy props in another area. Despite the criticism that his battle scene often get, I really liked them. It really gave a nice sense of the confustion and calamity of the situation, and passed on a real desperation of the charaters involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

for those of you who like fantasy novels, i can advises the following:

the sword of truth series by Terry GoodKind

The old kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix

Memory sorrow and thorn by Tad williams

For my part i am currently out of books, any good novels about martial arts, karate...?

I could not find any thus far...

thanks,

Seb

• 1 year later...
John, I tend to agree with your wife. That's not to say that minutia isn't nice in developemnt. I think it was handled well in the first few. Lots of details that brought the world to life and such.

Let's face it, Tolkien is themaster of using it and Middle Earth is richer for it. The same initially held true for Jordan. However, as it progresses, the minutia seem to be more focused around less contributing factors and thus, became more of a headache than a device to flesh out the world.

I too have heard that the series will be finished by another author. Depending on who it is, I might (let me stress again- might) pick it up after doing a Cliff's Notes scan on events up to that point on the internet. I'd like to see how it all ends. He did really have some great things that we hadn't seen in fantasy before. That's hard to do in a setting that has been dominated by Tolkien clones for so long..

I also have to give the guy props in another area. Despite the criticism that his battle scene often get, I really liked them. It really gave a nice sense of the confustion and calamity of the situation, and passed on a real desperation of the charaters involved.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but the guy beside me just pulled a black veil over his face and left.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'm waiting on the final Song of Ice and Fire book to come out. I also enjoy William Dietrich's Ethan Gage novels, Matthew Reilley, Clive Cussler, Jame Rollins, Ted Bell, and David Goleman.

• 1 month later...