Creator

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look...it's not good for my image so don't spread it around...I happen to love reading Jane Eyre.

Haha. :) Don't worry about it.

There are a few contenders for me. October's Baby and the Black Company, and the Tyranny of the Night, all by Glen Cook. The Simarillioin by Tolkien is really right up there as well.

Off the top of my head, Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. It's a great story if you don't mind mixing children and violence in a Sci-Fi setting.

There are a few contenders for me. October's Baby and the Black Company, and the Tyranny of the Night, all by Glen Cook. The Simarillioin by Tolkien is really right up there as well.

Loved The Black Company! Haven't read it in a decade or two. Couldn't get through The Silmarillion. It was to dry for me back when I was 15.

I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek, so I have a lot of faves in this genre, mostly from when I was younger. A few are The Wheel of Time series, The Belgariad seeries, the Blue Adept series, the War World series, oh, and the Myth Adventures series. The last one is pretty silly, but sometimes, I like silly, weird stuff.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Well, I grew up in the Harry Potter generation, so I still have a special place in my heart for those books and I have to admit I did get into the Twilight craze. And being a teacher I love a lot of kid's novels, particularly Where the Red Fern Grows and My Side of the Mountain. My favorite adult novels tend to be war stories-- All Quiet on the Western Front, The Expendables, and The Lords of Discipline are some of my favorites.

I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek, so I have a lot of faves in this genre, mostly from when I was younger. A few are The Wheel of Time series, The Belgariad seeries, the Blue Adept series, the War World series, oh, and the Myth Adventures series. The last one is pretty silly, but sometimes, I like silly, weird stuff.

You know, I never could get into the Wheel of Time series. The setting was really cool, but I found I didn't like his writing style. I got to about the 5th book in the series and jI ust kind of trailed off on reading them any further having started to lose interest. Maybe I'll pick them back up and give them another try at some point, because I did really like the setting.

This I Cannot Forget by Anna Larina.

(I'm a student of Russian/Soviet history. and for years I loved this book.

this book will make you laugh and cry . Sad tho. Just warning you.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Shogun by James Clavell

an excellent story set in feudal japan.

and

Tai-Pan by James Clavell

A story about the beginning of hong-kong.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

George, I know what you're saying about the "Wheel of Time". I read up to 5 or so as well and enjoyed them. I struggled thru the next 3-4 because I felt commited. I hated myself for reading the tenth or so and then I was done.

The cast grew too large and the time frame for each book grew to compressed. Not enough happened to advance the story after awhile. The main three charaters you actaully wanted to follow just seemed to get lost and the world, which was fantastic, just seemed to get smaller at the writing moved in that direction.

I won't read any more. Nor will I read the prequal. It's in protest, even if it is about one of my favortie charaters. No author who has been making me follow a story for decades has a right to do a prequal before the series is even finished.