• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why so many different styles in Karate?

Dobie1979

I understand that variety is the spice of life, but why are there so many different styles in Karate? I study Shorin Ryu, how does that stack up against Shotokan or Goju to name a few. Im sure there are differences in stances and katas, but is that it? Looking forward to hear the responses.

The majority of Japanese Karate styles are very similar, maybe some variation in Kata and stances. It really boils down to the training. However the training could vbe very diffrent in the same style comparing dojo to dojo.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Korean side there's ATF taekwondo, as well as Tang Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do, Kyuki Do, Chuck Norris' hybrid style Chun Kuk Do, the Muay Thai/TKD hybrid Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo, Choi Kwang-Do, Kuk Sool Won, etc. etc. It's just that few of them are as visible as TKD due to its promotion by the South Korean government.

On the TKD side it gets very messy what with all the different orgs. People split away from orgs and create their own then it all starts to deviate down the line. ITF and WTF are obviously the two main ones but then within that there is a whole load of variation. The group I trained with at uni are from Master Hee Il Cho's line and call themselves ITF-style but they are noticeably different from the actual ITF. I'd imagine its the same for Karate.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

People train and grow, and then differences in ideas and methodology arise, and then, you get splits. Thats why there are so many different MA styles are out there.

I guess he meant something more of the lines of "why does Karate have so many different styles as compared to other MA's?"

Think about it. There's WTF and ITF taekwondo. There's Muay Thai (I am not aware of different MT styles). BJJ has several schools, but they're still BJJ, as opposed to say, shotokan and goku ryu karate.

On the Korean side there's ATF taekwondo, as well as Tang Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do, Kyuki Do, Chuck Norris' hybrid style Chun Kuk Do, the Muay Thai/TKD hybrid Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo, Choi Kwang-Do, Kuk Sool Won, etc. etc. It's just that few of them are as visible as TKD due to its promotion by the South Korean government.

On the BJJ side there's the split between what's now considered to be 'mainstream' BJJ, which is virtually all ground fighting, all the time, and a curriculum that hews somewhat more closely to what the Gracies themselves teach, which adds some very basic standup strikes and focuses a bit more on throws. There are also the 10th Planet people, who have also taken some pains to distinguish themselves from ordinary BJJ, and there's a rather quieter split between those schools that practice mostly with the gi and those that practice mostly without.

Only when you're on the outside looking in do either appear monolithic. While I don't know as much about Muay Thai, I imagine the same is true there as well.

Good point. And I agree.

Just one thing, aren't all of those korean MA's different martial arts, as opposed to "taekwondo styles"? (i.e. Karate and judo are japanese marital arts, while Kyokushin and shotokan are both karate. However, tang soo do, the chuck norris style, etc are different MA's, like karate and judo)

Tang Soo Do is one of the original schools that 'Taekwondo' was unified from, as was Soo Bahk Do. Kukyi Do was split off from TKD then hybridized with hapkido and judo. Chun Kuk Do descends from Tang Soo Do. Kun Gek Do is an intentional hybridization of Muay Thai and Taekwondo. The background of Choi Kwang-Do's founder was in ITF taekwondo. Kuk Sool Won is split from hapkido, which in turn takes its striking techniques from taekwondo.

Some are before Taekwondo on the family tree, some are after, all are in the general category of Korean martial arts with their genesis in Korean study of Japanese Shotokan during the occupation of Korea.

Tang Soo Do is one of the original schools that 'Taekwondo' was unified from, as was Soo Bahk Do. Kukyi Do was split off from TKD then hybridized with hapkido and judo. Chun Kuk Do descends from Tang Soo Do. Kun Gek Do is an intentional hybridization of Muay Thai and Taekwondo. The background of Choi Kwang-Do's founder was in ITF taekwondo. Kuk Sool Won is split from hapkido, which in turn takes its striking techniques from taekwondo.

Some are before Taekwondo on the family tree, some are after, all are in the general category of Korean martial arts with their genesis in Korean study of Japanese Shotokan during the occupation of Korea.

Bingo.

• 4 weeks later...
Why so many languages? Methods of dress? Styles of dance? Different cultures develop differently, and that includes in karate. I don't think one is better than another-- they're just different.

Well said. There's nobody who can honestly say that one is better than the other. I personally study Shotokan. I'm currently a 7th kyu and will be testing for my 6th kyu in two weeks. I've never studied another style, but feel that Shotokan fits me very well. My sensei is a very traditional person and values the philosophy of staying as close to Gichin Funakoshi's original style as possible. And I get a kick out of the fact that I'm only 6 steps removed from Funakoshi himself.

To each his own.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the prettied up versions of why, but the more realistic versions are

- money in the correct pot (Senior Yudansha wanting a cut of the profits)

- arguments with their instructors etc. (Whether it be a difference of opinion about the performing of kata to just not getting on any more).

- breakdown of confidence in their instructors ability to teach.

- rising costs in training fees etc.

All add up to why there are so many styles.

There are 3 "Styles" in my local area that originate from the same parent style, I won't mention their names for legal reasons but they practice the same kata (which is a mix of Shotokan and Goju Ryu Kata), the same basics and use the same syllabus.

Mine was due to my a loyalty to my Students above my loyalty to my Sensei. but using that mine is a differnet beast to what it was 3 years ago.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

i believe there are one too many reasons for so many styles but we should focus on the ones that are strong and effective. i understand most are extremely strong but efficient in an age where many fights were fought with respect would not be so efficient today. if i went to a school called "butterfly dance ryu" and its techniques were effective and efficient i'm gonna where that butterfly on my gi proudly. i was lucky to fine a shorin ryu school that is exactly that especially in a state where mcdojos are the kings. i respect all karate but will only practice a style that represents what it was meant to be used for.