• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Diagonal" roundhouse kicks

I usually think of a roundhouse kick as being horizontal. By that I mean it's exactly horizontal/level against the ribs, though at a sweeping angle if against the head.

In the new art I'm studying, the roundhouse is taught to be executed at a diagonal to the ribs, so that it's got a better chance of slipping under the opponent's elbow. This is a sparring technique that was suggested in my former art, but roundhouse training would be against the kick shield, and it was definitely horizontal. I'm directed to practice the kick in my new art diagonally against the heavy bag, obviously expecting that the opponent is going to be covering against a shot to his ribs.

If we go by "you perform the way you train," then that accounts for how I barely saw diagonal roundhouses in the old art's sparring, but I have to watch out for them (and the other guy has to, too, as I'm doing them myself) in the new art.

Do you train/spar with these diagonal roundhouses yourself? Regularly? Occasionally? Not at all?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train both. The diagonal is much faster and as you say can slip under the guard but has less power. Think it depends on what you want to do... cause a lot of damage or get in there quicker.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Mine are almost exclusivly angled in that manner when I throw to the body. Precisely for the reason you state, slipping under ones guard.

Do you mean something like this, joesteph?

Exactly this, Kuma. I especially like the switch at 1:40 and its two-man application at 3:05. The tournament sparring showing the kick against an opponent looks like something I want to practice for so I can use it.

Thanks for the mikazukigeri video link.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu