• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I know what kick you mean

Its kind of like a cresent kick with a flick at the end inwards. Am I correct?

You could use this for a knife defence but I wouldn't advise using it. I advise using it only if you can't run away and are at kicking range and are fighting someone who is holding the knife very low and/or crouching. Running away is always best.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I think I know what kick you mean

Its kind of like a cresent kick with a flick at the end inwards. Am I correct?

You could use this for a knife defence but I wouldn't advise using it. I advise using it only if you can't run away and are at kicking range and are fighting someone who is holding the knife very low and/or crouching. Running away is always best.

Everyone thanks for all of your help in this topic.(one of the reasons I joined this group)

Jay, you have the kick I was talking about in mind. As for the other examples that were given, I lack the flexablity to get my foot that high to hit the head. Though I do definatly see the application with those kicks.

Mikadzuki - means "new moon" in Japanese with reference to the crescent shape a Mikazuki Geri (new moon Kick) takes.

In formal kata, this kick is often presented as "Sokutei mawashi uke" or sole of foot circular block (see Bassai / Seishan) but its application is far greater.

Lower the initial target area – change the trajectory of the kick slightly, and it is a particularly nasty leg sweep/stance breaking technique performed to the outside of the opponents knee lifting upward.

The Kyokushin boys use this type of kick (or slight mod of it) to great effect.

Chitsu

A hook kick (we actually call it "kake geri" in Kyokushin) is very different from a mikazuki geri (which we call "soto mawashi geri" in Kyokushin.

Kake geri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8I15zDTO14

Soto mawashi geri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNSo8jmEAg&feature=PlayList&p=3B74C8C8F374DE63&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

A kake geri is more like a side kick but instead of bringing the leg directly back like you would in a side kick you're essentially bringing it back like you would for a roundhouse kick. The striking point is the back of the heel. Although the head is the top target for the standard hook kick and the spinning hook kick, it's also been used fairly effectively in Kyokushin tournaments against the body, especially against the liver.

A kake geri is more like a side kick but instead of bringing the leg directly back like you would in a side kick you're essentially bringing it back like you would for a roundhouse kick. The striking point is the back of the heel. Although the head is the top target for the standard hook kick and the spinning hook kick, it's also been used fairly effectively in Kyokushin tournaments against the body, especially against the liver.

I'm sorry that I didn't know the Japenese term. When Kuma placed his comment, it made me remember what my teachers call it in class. :idea:

We call it the kake geri, and thanks again for the help.

Interesting to note how groups use different descriptions to descripe the same technique. Both descriptions are, but I would categorise the "Kake" kick that Kuma does as an "Ura Mawashigeri" - or back/reverse roundhouse.

Kagawa sensei demonstartes a 2/3rd version here but the principle is the same.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.