• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hook kick.

Dobie1979

I've been training for about six months now. We always start our classes with a few of the basics. We get to the kick portion and we start the hook kicks. What is this kick designed to do?

I've put some thought into it and wonder if it is good to use against someone with a knife/weapon.

I'm curious to hear other thoughts.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all that good against a knife or weapon, no. The standard hook kick is not all that useful except as training for a spinning hook kick, which makes a pretty good high-risk-high-reward kick or kick counter.

Edited by Toptomcat

Agreed. About the only time I really use a hook kick when sparring is in combination with a roundhouse. Do a hook kick with the expectation of not hitting the target but rather to draw their attention to blocking the kick, then re-extending the kick back into a roundhouse. I've also managed to use it to sneak in a few rib shots on occasion, but overall I really don't use a standard hook kick all that often.

Other than that, as Toptomcat said, it seems its primary usefulness is to prepare you for learning the spinning hook kick, which can be a great kick if you can pull it off successfully.

I've been training for about six months now. We always start our classes with a few of the basics. We get to the kick portion and we start the hook kicks. What is this kick designed to do?

I've put some thought into it and wonder if it is good to use against someone with a knife/weapon.

Can you be a little more specific.

By Hook Kick do you mean Mikazuki geri -

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

We have a hook kick and a hooking kick in my style. People often confuse the names. I think what you're describing Dobie is our hook kick (as in Chitsu's link) but what everyone else is saying would be our hooking kick. With my limited Japanese (Google :D) I don't even think Mikazuki geri translates as hook kick?

The hook kick for us is primarily defensive and can be used against an armed opponent... but I wouldn't. Too risky tbh. Big chance of slicing your foot open. You'd use it to block the arm (or leg) or to hit an object out of their hand.

We have a couple of very similar kicks (don't know if Karate distinguishes between them as have heard them collectively termed as crescent kicks) that are used for offense as that video seems to show. Our crescent kick is also for blocking and is very similar with a similar application but whereas the hooking kick comes across and down, the crescent just comes across. The vertical kick is basically the offensive version of the crescent kick used to strike the torso, face etc. I guess any of those applications could apply.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Can you be a little more specific.

By Hook Kick do you mean Mikazuki geri -

Chitsu

No. That's a crecent kick. Here's a video of a hook kick.

In the video, he's spinning, however it can be done without the spin as well.

Bill

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Mikadzuki - means "new moon" in Japanese with reference to the crescent shape a Mikazuki Geri (new moon Kick) takes.

In formal kata, this kick is often presented as "Sokutei mawashi uke" or sole of foot circular block (see Bassai / Seishan) but its application is far greater.

Lower the initial target area – change the trajectory of the kick slightly, and it is a particularly nasty leg sweep/stance breaking technique performed to the outside of the opponents knee lifting upward.

The Kyokushin boys use this type of kick (or slight mod of it) to great effect.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Mikadzuki - means "new moon" in Japanese with reference to the crescent shape a Mikazuki Geri (new moon Kick) takes.
I think this a solid case for understanding and using correct Karate terminology here.

Interesting. Same kick yet it is called a hooking kick, golcho chagi in TKD because it hooks the arm, as in our hooking block. We do have a crescent kick as I explained in my earlier post.. Maybe its a case of Dobie's style/instructor borrowing terminology from another style he's studied.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In formal kata, this kick is often presented as "Sokutei mawashi uke" or sole of foot circular block (see Bassai / Seishan) but its application is far greater.

Lower the initial target area – change the trajectory of the kick slightly, and it is a particularly nasty leg sweep/stance breaking technique performed to the outside of the opponents knee lifting upward.

The Kyokushin boys use this type of kick (or slight mod of it) to great effect.

Chitsu

I like that application. I’ve only been shown it as a short distance kick to the lower rib area.

Thanks,