• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most common mistakes martial artists make

The title is actually "The Most Common Mistakes Martial Artists Make in the Ring and How to Correct Them" by Benjamin Paris. The address is:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/martial_arts_mistakes/archives/763

One of the sections is called Predictable Technique Selection, and an excerpt reads:

The most dangerous thing about being predictable is that you’re probably not aware of it. . . . Try this experiment: Ask someone to watch you spar and keep track of what you do. (Alternatively, you can videotape yourself.) Then examine the findings. While you were sparring, you probably thought you had a variety of options at any moment. However, when you read the report or watch the tape, you’ll probably be amazed at how predictable you really are.

Have any forums members either had a friend watch and keep track, or videotaped him/herself while sparring?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pretty good article.

Watching videos back is great as when someone tells you you do something, you can see for yourself too. Even when you're just sparring normally in class I think if your partner sees stuff like tells/signals they should be telling you anyway. And your instructor. In fact most regional tournaments I go to people will tell their opponent stuff like that and give them tips on what to do instead.. after the matches of course.

I like the bit about signalling. If you have a ringside coach, this is what they should be looking for in your opponent. Although in addition to what the article says I'd also include as a fix the ability to throw your desired tech from a number of positions. For instance, the article says "if you always shift your front foot out before executing a rear-leg roundhouse kick, you should occasionally shift your front foot out and not kick". Well that's one "fix" but sometimes people do this because they can't physically throw the kick from any other position. So learn to throw the kick straight off, after shifting your back foot, etc. and learn to do this with all your kicks. What you end up with is a situation where, like Superfoot Wallace (as the article insert states), any kick can come from a chamber/preparatory position but then you go one step further and have several of those too and any kick can come from. Do the same with the arms.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah, that was a good article.

Taping students while they're in class, testing, tournaments, and training is a great feedback tool for not just the students, but for the sensei as well.

The extra added thing about video taping students/instructors is...one never knows when something will be recorded, and then that something can be sent into "America's Funniest Home Videos".

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the hijack..... Take care with those video cams and even cell cams (these days). Recording someone's voice without their knowledge and / or consent is a Federal offense. In some jurisdictions, so is videotaping even without audio.

One example: call nearly any automated phone system, and while waiting for a customer (dis)service rep....most all of them will advise that 'calls may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance, training, etc.' Just don't want to see any good people, accidentally get themselves into deep yogurt :-)

I do agree that watching one's self on video is a good training tool.

• 1 month later...

Re: recording laws, check out: http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Most states are one party consent states, which means that if you are a party to the conversation, you can record it without anyone's consent. In two party states, you must have permission from all parties.

With students, etc., it's simple enough to just all have them sign a consent form.

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: recording laws, check out: http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Most states are one party consent states, which means that if you are a party to the conversation, you can record it without anyone's consent. In two party states, you must have permission from all parties.

With students, etc., it's simple enough to just all have them sign a consent form.

Thanks,

Patrick

Very interesting. One I hadn't thought of, if ever. Thanks for that Patrick!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Don't know about in the States but over here most tournaments say that by signing the registration form you agree that videos/photos may be taken of you by tournament officials and spectators. Still something to think about though..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When an instructor intends to take photos during class, he / she asks everyone first... I always say yes. However I don't like when someone's parent / friend / etc starts taking cell phone pictures while I'm trying to train. I don't know why one bothers me and the other doesn't.