• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Clue as to the Reason for White Karate Gis

still kicking

This topic was originally posted as "A Question for Shotokan Folks", but I think the question would be of interest all traditional Japanese karate-ka. I had never really given it much thought as to why white gis are "traditional", I just thought it was "what it is". When someone asked the question, I got to wondering, and figured that if anyone had researched the answer it would be Dave Lowry. In his book "In the Dojo", (a great resource on etiquette and the various hows and whys of Japanese MA's), there is an entire chapter entitled "The Uniform". Lowry points out that actually, the early karate pioneers wore either regular street clothes, or more often, were practically naked and wore only loincloths. The karate gi was derived from the judo uniform developed by Kano, to make it more "marketable". (I guess college students didn't want to train naked). :)

Anyway, on pages 42-43, Lowry says "Keikogi* are white because it is the natural color of the cotton of which they are made and so it is both cheap and reflective of a certain spirit of simplicity and naturalness that is consonant with the values of the budo. They are white because they have always been so, and tradition, while it is not sufficient a rationalization for all institutions, is nevertheless a powerful factor when it comes to the matter of arts like the budo. There is no coherent reason for the introduction of other colors to the keikogi other than to satisfy the dictates of changeable fashion or to address the wearer's need to express his whims; therefore, it is important not to introduce them."

* Keiko = practice

The conclusion is, apparently, that Japanese tradition says don't change anything unless there is a good reason! Who determines what constitutes a good reason is, I suppose, debatable. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it may be overthinking things to say that white gis were chosen to reflect 'a certain spirit of simplicity and naturalness that is consonant with the values of the budo.' It's probably closer to the truth that they were chosen because cotton was a cheap, durable fabric, it was less expensive to leave it undyed than to bleach or dye it, and it approximated the street clothes of the day.

My interpretation of what Lowry is saying, Toptomcat, is that yes, natural cotton was used because it was cheap and durable, and where the "simplicity and naturalness" applies is in just leaving it as is, and not trying to add something to it. Anyway... Lowry goes into a lot more detail, discussing clothing or the lack thereof in ancient Japan -- apparently before cotton was invented the clothes were made out of hemp, or for poorer people, a type of mulberry paper, while the rich wore silk, of course. Lowry does have a mind for great detail, sometimes more than I care to know, but usually fascinating, in my view. :)

White was probably the easiest. I don't think much more really went into at the time. But, for some reason, it appears that there always has to be some more profound meaning behind things, so, in essence, we dig something up, and then it gets tagged as "tradition."

Its ok you can name me I did ask the question why white =]

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

OK, you are named, Blade96 thought of the question first. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post inappropriately or anything, I just wanted to open the question to traditional Japanese karate practitioners in general. I thought that maybe if people thought it was a question pertaining only to Shotokan practitioners, they might not read it if they practiced another style of TJK. Thanks for introducing the question, Blade96, I liked it. :)

Whatever the reason why most gi's are primarily white throughout many karate systems is what it is...I'm just glad that the simplistic of it was created.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

OK, you are named, Blade96 thought of the question first. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post inappropriately or anything, I just wanted to open the question to traditional Japanese karate practitioners in general. I thought that maybe if people thought it was a question pertaining only to Shotokan practitioners, they might not read it if they practiced another style of TJK. Thanks for introducing the question, Blade96, I liked it. :)

yeah this is good stuff you wrote. btw you're welcome =]

Just to make it clear....Its not only us who wear white =]

just to let anyone of other styles know they too can jump in :D

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Traditional TKD practitioners wear a white uniform (dobak)-the consensus being that putting on a plain white uniform is an outward sign of humility, an attempt to "subdue the I".

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hi everyone, here is my take on this question:

I've heard the reason most Japanese martial arts wear white Gi's is rooted in Samurai lore. The Samurai wore white under thier armor when going into battle because they preferred to be buried in white - thus when going into battle, they were not only prepared to die, they were ready for death.

In my studies in both Japanese and Okinawan Goju, we wore ONLY white Gi's, with a school patch over the heart and a U.S. flag patch which was to be worn on your shoulder.

In Judo, we wear either a white or blue gi, either is fine. Wearing of a patches is the same as above (In Goju).

In Shaolin Kempo-jitsu, any color gi is acceptable, but black Gi's are only allowed to be worn by black and brown belts. Any patch is allowed anywhere on your gi.

"Karate is a lot like hot water. If you do not constantly heat it - it will once again become cool water".