• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training elsewhere whilst running your own dojo

Hi,

How many of you run and instruct at your own dojo/business, whilst training at another one? I am referring to those that teach and train in the same style.

If you operate your own dojo and do train elsewhere as well, then how did you approach the instructor at the other dojo to request to train?

I can only imagine that some instructors may not like the idea of you training there, as they may take your business as a threat to their own?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think in most cases people that do this are the people who have set up their own schools but still train with their previous instructor. If you have a close group of schools (in an org maybe), most of the time people are quite willing to share between all the different schools anyway. TBH as long as you were clear about your intentions and your competing school wasn't only a block away from the place you want to train, I'd imagine a lot of teachers would be ok with this.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've had a number of instructors from "make it up as you go" schools inquire about joining my class. My problem with that is that they will take what I teach them and integrate it into their own class for their own students.

That just sort of rubs me the wrong way. I teach somethign to them, they barely have a grasp of how it works and why, but they take it and teach it to their students.

From a students perspective, if I knew my sensei was taking classes from someone other than his own sensei or someone with more knowledge in the same art, I would be concerned as to why. My thoughts would be somethign like "Is my instructor, or the system he teaches, so weak that he needs additional training in another system to mnake his stronger?" Personally, I'd probably look elsewhere for training, as this sort of thing doesn't instill confidence in my sensei.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

That just sort of rubs me the wrong way. I teach somethign to them, they barely have a grasp of how it works and why, but they take it and teach it to their students.

There are some cases where the they are just learning the curriculum of a new style. That is not to say that they don't know the techniques in style and how to apply them. I'm talking about basic sets or forms. These are just basic ways a style will introduce techniques to a student. Every style will have a certain particular way to teach it in a standard way.

Having changed styles I find myself in this situation at times. I'll have to learn a set or form from someone that is junior to myself in knowledge and overall skill in the technique that the set is teaching.

I don't own a place, but I did teach at TKD, and I have been attending Aikido as well. I don't attempt to bring Aikido into my TKD class, as it would take away time from TKD curriculum. Also, I don't have enough experience to really teach anything Aikido, so I just keep it as my own training time to learn and grow.

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't teach in a dojo at present, I do cross train in a couple of different arts. I do this to enhance my understanding of my primary art. For example: I study (or did when I could afford it) Daito Ryu to better understand sensitivity and balance. I also study Silat because it is my belief after research and observation that Silat had an influence on Shorin Ryu karate at some early stage. I also wanted to add the blade work from the Indonesian styles to my toolbox. However, I do not add this material to what I teach my students. I'm nowhere near being a qualified instructor in either of these arts. It is my hope that more understanding of these concepts will make me a better teacher in the long run.

I will say that in both cases the instructors knew that I was an instructor in another style of martial arts. Basically as long as I agreed to not teach anything that I was taught until I was a qualified instructor in their respective styles everything was fine.

Hi,

How many of you run and instruct at your own dojo/business, whilst training at another one? I am referring to those that teach and train in the same style.

If you operate your own dojo and do train elsewhere as well, then how did you approach the instructor at the other dojo to request to train?

I can only imagine that some instructors may not like the idea of you training there, as they may take your business as a threat to their own?

Hello! :)

I've highlighted in bold print above because I believe that's key to your question(s)..."the same style." Therefore, I'll speak to this.

I train all the time with my fellow Shindokan karateka's. I visit other Shindokan dojo's from time to time throughout the year, as it's one of my responsibilities as Kaicho/Chief Instructor of the Hombu, providing those dojo the consistent presence of the Hombu, which supports each Shindokan dojo. I'll go to their dojo and in return, they'll come to the Hombu. Sometimes I visit Shindokan dojo on either in an official capacity as well as an unofficial capacity. Official capacity, for example, would be whenever that dojo has requested a Hombu representative to sit in on a testing cycle. An unofficial capacity would be me calling a local Shindokan dojo while I'm in their town for one reason or another, and asking if I could come by to train.

When I had my own dojo, I trained with my Dai-Soke as often as I could, and that would be normally about once a month. Ever since I was appointed to the Hombu, I trained with my Dai-Soke everyday at the Hombu. That was until he suffered a stroke last August. Our time together since then is now more of a verbal workout. While his stroke has made it difficult for him to train physically, his mind is still extremely sharp and his knowledge seems to know no boundaries.

Nowadays, I seek to train with the more senior ranks within Shindokan for a plethoria of reasons, no one reason is more important than any other reason. I suppose, I'm seeking to train in a manner that is reminiscence of training with my Dai-Soke.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!