• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High Kicking

I can kick approx. my height (plus a couple of inches more because I tend to pivot upwards on my toes whan doing a high roundhouse) ... but remember my style is TKD and I have good flexibility (on both sides).

But a good point was brought up -- equal proficiency on both the left and right sides should be developed, although many favor one side or the other. More attention should be devoted to training your weaker side.

From a self-defense point ... you have to consider the situation where an injury might prevent you from using your better side. Also, it is scientifically proven that practicing on the less skillful side will improve the better one.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-24 15:23 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 3o years experiance in the Martial Arts, all moves have weakneses. They also all have their advantages, and to deliver the positive aspect of each move it has tro be delivered in a certain way.

High kicks should be performed after blows to the head have had an affect on the oppenant, only then will the high be effective, where the kick will not be stopped.

My right leg is better than my left but i can still kick great with my left juss fine, i think i can kick just as high. I love kicking, its great, prefer to win with kicks but i usually end up either using my backfist to great effect or i trap the front hand and reveerse punch 'em.

"Live free.

Die well..."

On 2002-07-24 15:29, Foxy Lady wrote:

...High kicks should be performed after blows to the head have had an affect on the oppenant, only then will the high be effective, where the kick will not be stopped.

I don't think you should limit when a kick should be performed. Because that is not the only time that kick will be effective.

Case in point: three thugs (I call them such because that's the way they acted) approached and said various things likes, "I'm gonna bleed ya," etc. The three were taken down with three kicks. A front kick to the sternum of the first, a sidekick to the chest of the second, and a roundhouse to the head of the third. The first lost his breath and fell to the ground. The second fell to the ground and began screaming. The third, fell unconscious to the ground. (*NOTE* This fight was totally unprovoked; it was just late at night)

The point being(amongst many others) is that you cannot limit when a high kick should be used, or give conditions to its use(ie must following prior blows to the head.) This is because, I (not being alone on this either), have used high kicks most efficiently on the street (I don't fight tournaments, so I cannot comment on high kick usefullness in the ring, but as for the street I am well qualified)

High kicks, when done properly are a very important weapon to possess. The problem is most martial artists cannot do them well enough to see their usefullness. I.e. they can't perform them without them being caught.

This, however, does not mean the kicks are useless. I attest to their usefullness, their effectiveness, and power. A high side kick and roundhouse to the face has saved my skin more times than I wish they should have.

KickChick was very accurate in training your weak leg. You should train to the point where there is no 'weak leg' 'strong leg'. To the point there is no difference.

As for height to my kicks(to answer the original thread) I am 6'3" and kick well over my head. I don't find the need to though, as I rarely fight basketball players, a few inches over my height (ie 6'5") I consider no different from my head so not an issue for high kicks.

I see nothing wrong with properly executed high kicks. You just have to be smart with them, as with any attack. If you know your opponent is guarding high you wouldn't waste a punch that way, would you? If you know he'll catch your high kick, you wouldn't throw it either. But if either of those scenarios merit the attack then you do it, of course.

My point: for those who find my ramblings trying, don't discredit high kicks so easily.

Appendix A:(I'm really stretching this one, ain't I?)

KickChick mentioned something very important indirectly. It has to do with flexibility.

To kick high you've got to limber. To kick fast you have to have excellent muscle control. You must be able to control your leg once it up high. Most people when throwing a high kick just throw their leg up, they have no visible control over their kick. This is because they may be limber, but they lack the muscle dynamics to control their leg once they kick it out FAST. This is a good way to get yourself in a prickly predicament quickly.

An exercise I offer is: practice gaining control over your leg muscles related to kicking. Stand facing forward and then hold your hands in whatever stance you wish. Do a front kick with you leg very slowly and hold it perpendicular to your body. Straighten it out all the way. Just hold it there. Don't touch it with your hands, don't lower it, don't waver. Just hold it still and waist level. Hold it for 1min. Then bring it back like a kick(don't let it fall to the ground) and do the same for the other leg. As you progress raise your leg progressively higher. At least to chest level holding it the same for 1min+. A good time frame to hold your leg out in front of you like that is 2min. That is a strong leg and you have control over it.

Do the same exercise for a waist-level side kick and waist-level roundhouse. Don't hold your leg and don't support yourself on anything. Just balance.

Hope this helps.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Thanks for taking note of some of my points there Martial_Artist.

You too also mentioned something also important (indirectly) .... and that is having the ability to execute those high kicks due to flexibility.... but one must also shoot for the ability to perform that high kick without the need of a warm up.

Somany people practice kicks, especially high kicks, and can't use them right away without first warming up and stretching.

If you want to increase the height of your kicks and to be able to reach that height with no warm-up, you need to develop the right kind of flexibility .... and that is dynamic flexibility. Dynamic flexibility is the ability to perform dynamic movements (kicking) with a full range of motion in the joints.

To obtain this type of flexibility you need to perform those dynamic stretches we talk about so much about here!

Simple leg raises in all directions. First develop the ability to move your limbs with moderate speed within a full range of motion in the joints. You should start at a lower extension (height) to avoid injury from any sudden contraction of rapidly stretched muscles. Do not “throw” your limbs; rather, “lead” or “lift” them, controlling the movement along the entire range. Then, after you have reached nearly your full range of motion, you can increase the velocity of the limb so the last few inches of its trajectory will be less controlled but the stretch will not be sudden. Do leg raises to the front, back, and sides. Make 12 repetitions in every set and do as many sets as you need to feel you have reached your current limit of flexibility.

Martial_Artist, yes those slow controlled tension kicks to a 'hold' is an absolute way to develop leg strength (quads/hipflexors)....

I find my muscles "shaking" afterwards and beads of sweat just poring out from every pore.

I do this with my class (but I make some of the beginners cheat by 'holding' their leg with one hand first and then make them remove it to hold there until a certain count.

"Your kicks, like your punches, are supposed to be your weapons.... always accessible and ready. You would not carry a gun disassembled, would you? You would not count on having the time to put it together while facing an attacker."

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-25 14:58 ]

U guys are right about being able to kick high without a warm up...good quote there kickchick dats from the TKD times right? Here's the link if anyone wants to read about strethces to help upi "kick cold" (without a warm up) http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch1.html

I can kick over my own head with no warm up, but i'm not really tall so i have to do better than that, better start them dynamic stetches :karate:

"Live free.

Die well..."

Well I'm 5'7"...

front kick 7'3-4"

round kick 6'4" or so

turning side 6'8" or so

not that I'll ever kick that high in a real fight though

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".