• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High Kicking

I know many of you don't believe in high kicking. But for those of you who CAN kick high, how high can u kick when fully stretched and everything? Like a standing roundhouse not a flying kick(don't have many of those in Karate, lol)

I'm about 5'7" and i can do a roundhouse about 6'7"

"Live free.

Die well..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really belive in kicking high , and I use to take taekwondo aswell but I prefer traditional Okinawan karate and in the traditional kata there no kicks over belt knot height . Side kicks are done to the knee . I know some styles that say they are traditional and have changed the kata by adding the high kicks but myself I dont see the reason for it .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

[ This Message was edited by: ronryu on 2002-07-23 21:01 ]

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Hiya,

We have Tobi Geri (flying kick) not quite mastered it meself yet...but its a challenge for me at a later date.

Was training at another dojo recently and was practising kicking with a 6'2 chap. After a rigorous warm up and most of the lesson - I managed to kick high enough to get him worried enough to block a roundhouse kick to his head. I'm 5'5". I was chuffed anyway :wink:

Melanie

---------------

Be nice if I get this right one day...

A little over my own head, with a crescent kick (I just don't do roundhouses that high) I can clear my own head with the foot, which makes it at least 5'10".

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

I'm 5'10", and I can kick 4/5 inches over my head. :karate:

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I can kick pretty high. I'm 5'8 and I can clear my own height with a roundhouse, front, cresent, and axe kicks. Side kicks are a little harder for me. With my right, I can kick almost my height. My left is round my neck area.

But I don't work just on high kicks. I work on low kicks also. I love the high kicks, but I wouldn't use them in a real situation, so I work on knee level and waist level kicks as much as I can.

Laurie F

I could probably kick about 5 1/2 feet, a little below head height, or my head height in a low stance. Roundhouse or hook kick I get the highest. I can flick my leg up like a front kick above my head, but it lacks all power at a target because I can't get the thrust part right. Just brushes lightly in its way up...

In sparring I don't kick much. Prefer to use my hands. In a real fight I would kick low attacking vulnerable spots, and I know if I did some of these things sparring I would really hurt my partner.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

i can hook kick at about 7 and half feet round is a couple of inches less. in traditinal karate there are kicks thrown to chudan and jodan. (the cresent kicks come to mind espicially) also the side snap kicks(i doubt this kick was ever at the knee its no thrust kick :wink:.