• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Lotta Lotta Kata

still kicking

joesteph wrote:

I'd rather learn a limited number of kata, even if it's limited to the pinan/heian series, and take them apart, rather than know a dozen (or more) but find I'm at a loss as to what's contained within.

I can't say I totally disagree with you, though I'd still want more than just the Pinans. I do like having a lot of kata to choose from, because some fit different strengths and body types better, or are just more appealing for whatever reason, but I agree, I would prefer to study less of them but at more depth. I guess my goal/challenge is to know a lot of them fairly deeply, which takes a long time. In any case, even though I might prefer that we didn't have to practice quite so many, the bottom line is that there is no other school I'd rather train in, so it is what it is. Besides, I'm probably more in danger of dying of a stroke or heart attack or boredom than being attacked on the street, so I'd better stay with what I love! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata is good. However, you can have too much of a good thing. I personally prefer to know a handful of kata really really well than just be adequate at a ton of different kata. That's IMO though.

Kuma wrote:

Kata is good. However, you can have too much of a good thing.

That's about it, I agree. But again, IT'S NOT MY FAULT, THEY MAKE ME DO IT! :bawling:

joesteph wrote:

I brought my climb up the belt staircase to a halt, though I've always respected my teacher, to train at a dojo where my interview with Shihon has me working applications/techniques each class. There's a belt system, but I'm not concerned with it, meaning that the classes I've had so far immediately contained martial art applications.

I remember you saying something about this in the past, joesteph, and I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you have found something that works for you. That is awesome! I think that people who have found a martial art that they love, for whatever reason, are really lucky. We might have to search around to find the right one to fit us for our goals and where we are in our lives, but it is the love of martial arts that unites us in these forums. I really appreciate everone's contributions. :)

Yea, Joesteph I do JKD. Previously I have done alot of kata I did shotokan for years.

Forms and Kata are fairly interesting. Im still trying to learn the Yang Style Tai Chi form as I never learnt it all.

Im also trying to learn Siu Nim Tau which is the first Wing Chun Form.

You mentioned the Pinan/Heian kata. If I remember correctly they all come from Kanku Dai (or whatever you respectivly call it)

Thus if you know Kanku Dai you understand all of the Pinan/Heian Kata.

Kanku Dai was always my favourite. Also Very 'Tai Chi' in its movements.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

You mentioned the Pinan/Heian kata. If I remember correctly they all come from Kanku Dai (or whatever you respectivly call it)

Thus if you know Kanku Dai you understand all of the Pinan/Heian Kata.

Kanku Dai was always my favourite. Also Very 'Tai Chi' in its movements.

My sandan friend taught me that 'The View of the Sky' (kanku dai) is the parent kata, and its 65 movements contain a little of every heian kata. Its also the longest kata we have.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.