• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd rather deny the promotion and/or have the student quit, then promote them when they've [the student] not passed the test. Parents and the like can get upset all they want because I RUN THE DOJO...PERIOD! We've no testing fees at our Hombu, and if we did, money won't buy a belt, no matter how much they've paid or how much of a temper-tantrum they [parents/students] want to throw.

I'll close the doors to my dojo before I compromise my integrity, my art, and myself. Quit...I really don't care one way or another, I'll even hold the door open for them.

:)

Well, that all sounds very good. My guess is you don't run a dojo for profit. If you aren't trying to make a living at running a dojo, then you can call the shots. If you are, the customers call the shots--or at least they do to a very large degree.

On the contrary. I've been teaching just over 45 years, and every dojo that I've ever owned, and that's a total of 2, I taught full time, and the dojo was my only source of income, and I've always made profit per Quarter and Annual. It's been tougher as of late to meet the Q and A because of the economic downturn, but, it happens.

I've always called the shots and my customers have never called the shots...because it's my dojo! I'm the Sensei, and I know my role. My students/parents, aka the customers, know their role, and if they forget their role, I remind them. I don't need a partner, and that's why I'm the sole proprietor, and this means that I'm there to teach and their there to learn. The day that I allow my students/parents, aka the customers, to run my dojo. That's the day that I'll padlock the front door and find something else to do.

I've asked students/parents to leave in the past and I'll continue to do so, because they assumed a role that wasn't theirs to assume from the beginning. There are no ambiquities whatsoever whenever a student joins my dojo, and I make it perfectly clear to the parents and the like as well...right from the start.

The same goes for at the Shindokan Hombu where I'm the Chief Instructor and I've the support from the Hombu and our Dai-Soke. How can I in current times? It's easy! It's called consistency across the board in all things. I listen to complaints, then I make the decision. Yet, when it comes to ranking and the like, I don't listen to anybody but myself...period!

I've never ever believed in the "Customer Is Always Right!" That's a fine catch phrase for some, but for me, I don't buy into that business philosophy; past, present, or in the future.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather deny the promotion and/or have the student quit, then promote them when they've [the student] not passed the test. Parents and the like can get upset all they want because I RUN THE DOJO...PERIOD! We've no testing fees at our Hombu, and if we did, money won't buy a belt, no matter how much they've paid or how much of a temper-tantrum they [parents/students] want to throw.

I'll close the doors to my dojo before I compromise my integrity, my art, and myself. Quit...I really don't care one way or another, I'll even hold the door open for them.

*claps for Bob-sensei*

Good on you for wanting to preserve Shindokan and everything that goes with it, instead of comprimising its intgrity and the brilliance of the MA.

Your Da Soki should be very proud of you. :)

Thank you Blade96, and my Dai-Soke is proud of all of his students! Just as I'm sure your instructor is proud of you!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Martialart wrote:
"Oh sure, your four year old can get his 6th dan, but he'll never be an instructor."

Four year old 6th dan, ha ha ha. Maybe they should just give them 10th dan at birth and save everybody a lot of trouble. (I know you were slightly exaggerating, right?)

Exaggerating yes, but only a little. In the children's class I've seen black belts that look to be under 8 years old, and this one girl had a brown belt and was on her mom's lap in the waiting area asleep and sucking her thumb. I estimate she was around four. At first I was appalled, until I realized I was wasting far too much energy. Once the children's class started playing some game with a ball that had nothing to do with martial arts, I realized I might as well save my disgust for things that matter.

On the contrary. I've been teaching just over 45 years, and every dojo that I've ever owned, and that's a total of 2, I taught full time, and the dojo was my only source of income, and I've always made profit per Quarter and Annual. It's been tougher as of late to meet the Q and A because of the economic downturn, but, it happens.

I've always called the shots and my customers have never called the shots...because it's my dojo! I'm the Sensei, and I know my role. My students/parents, aka the customers, know their role, and if they forget their role, I remind them. I don't need a partner, and that's why I'm the sole proprietor, and this means that I'm there to teach and their there to learn. The day that I allow my students/parents, aka the customers, to run my dojo. That's the day that I'll padlock the front door and find something else to do.

I've asked students/parents to leave in the past and I'll continue to do so, because they assumed a role that wasn't theirs to assume from the beginning. There are no ambiquities whatsoever whenever a student joins my dojo, and I make it perfectly clear to the parents and the like as well...right from the start.

The same goes for at the Shindokan Hombu where I'm the Chief Instructor and I've the support from the Hombu and our Dai-Soke. How can I in current times? It's easy! It's called consistency across the board in all things. I listen to complaints, then I make the decision. Yet, when it comes to ranking and the like, I don't listen to anybody but myself...period!

I've never ever believed in the "Customer Is Always Right!" That's a fine catch phrase for some, but for me, I don't buy into that business philosophy; past, present, or in the future.

Well, you must be doing something right.

*claps for Bob-sensei*

Good on you for wanting to preserve Shindokan and everything that goes with it, instead of comprimising its intgrity and the brilliance of the MA.

Your Da Soki should be very proud of you. :)

Thank you Blade96, and my Dai-Soke is proud of all of his students! Just as I'm sure your instructor is proud of you!

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.