• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, I was interested in Mantis style kung fu and i was wondering if any of you do it and if so what kinda things do u learn. Also, what are you training methods(heavybag drills, kata, step sparring, free sparring)

Oh and if any of you know any good mantis sites, preferably with video demonstratuions or fight clips please post them. thx alot

yours in the MA,

El Guerrero Loco

"Live free.

Die well..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...I don't know...the only times I've seen Mantis style was at wushu competitions. I guess you would have to work on stances and stuff to actually learn the form. I usually don't see beginners doing mantis form. It's usually the intermediate to advanced wushu students. I'm not sure if a background in modern wushu or at least a understanding of the basic wushu movements would be needed?

As for sparring I've never seen anyone spar with Mantis before. Maybe in a choreographed sparring set but never free sparring....I don't know if there is even such a thing as Mantis free sparring?? :???:

Or if it's even possible without totally destroying the style you're using.

I'll see if I can find a video clip of someone doing a mantis form for you...

Hope someone has more information, or correct me if I am wrong.... :argue:

[ This Message was edited by: owthathurts on 2002-07-26 14:22 ]

Hello,

I did a little Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung fu with a friend of mine which have been training on it for 20 years now.

At first, we did traditional chinese bow, then we started to warm up (jogging, jumping jacks, abs, flex, etc..)

After that we started to train our kicks and punches (with the aid of heavy bag and focus mitts) One step sparring and self defense techniques using traditonal chinese strokes (eye of the peakock, dragon tail kicks, Horse kick, moon punch, etc..)

Then Forms, not as much as i thought i chinese style train on it. that was because my friend is more toward combat and self defense than forms training.

And then Free Sparring. Nowbody sparred in bow and arrow stance with his hands in "mantis" guard lol Mostly boxing style stance or cat stance if you wanted to be defensive.

After that we used to do an exercises of meditation like Tai chi, bow and hand chake.

In the time i was there, i didnt saw any weapons training or anything like that. It was a fun class.

• 9 months later...
I take 7 star praying mantis - it is a complete system with forms, high and low kicks, punches, locks, throws and weapons. It is the system devised to defeat all other Shaolin styles. It has elements of tiger, leopard, crane, monkey, leopard, eagle and dragon. Its amazing!!

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.