• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cuts and Bruises from Kumite

dave_pfc

If the flow of a knockdown match looks like boxing to you, you need to watch more of both. The threat of head punches has dramatic effects on range and the tempo of the match: the presence of gloves and absence of kicks makes the range of defensive techniques available vastly different, and the 'knockdown' vs. 'knockout' criteria for victory make for very different standards of what finishes a fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said earlier that his gi sleeves are short: I think that might be why he's getting cuts on his forearms, because he's blocking bareknuckle strikes with bare forearms. Just getting a longer gi might prevent some of the cuts.

he's not blocking correctly then. when being attacked Jodan by your sparring partner or whoever the proper block is jodan age uke which is to have your forearm at an angle like so

http://www.3battleskarate.com/images/jodan%20age%20uke_lg.jpg

when blocking Chodan the right block should ALWAYS connect with the wrist and not the hand and when counter attacking you sweep the opponents fist across their body so you have access. learn Chudan age uke correctly and you won't get hurt

[/url]

Yeah as Toptomcat said, you cant apply perfect blocks in full blown sparring. You just have random punches and kicks coming at you. Some people bruise, some don't. Unfortunately I'm part of the former. Got some pads sorted out so I'll see how they go tonight. Think I'll have to visit the doc soon as my right forearm is still really bruised. I haven't been for two weeks.

We don't use pads, other than hand gear, in my MMA class. I'm a thin guy so I know what you mean. When I bang my shin it REALLY hurts. I'm not sure I can help you other that to say - try to protect the "hurt" area when you are fighting. When I bang my shin I tend to switch my stance so the hurt leg becomes the rear leg. If I have pain in an area before class I wrap that area with an ace bandage. After class, take ibuprofen and ice the hurt area for 20 minutes. Daily sessions with ice may help your body through the conditioning.

He said earlier that his gi sleeves are short: I think that might be why he's getting cuts on his forearms, because he's blocking bareknuckle strikes with bare forearms. Just getting a longer gi might prevent some of the cuts.

he's not blocking correctly then. when being attacked Jodan by your sparring partner or whoever the proper block is jodan age uke which is to have your forearm at an angle like so

when blocking Chodan the right block should ALWAYS connect with the wrist and not the hand and when counter attacking you sweep the opponents fist across their body so you have access. learn Chudan age uke correctly and you won't get hurt

[/url]

Yeah as Toptomcat said, you cant apply perfect blocks in full blown sparring. You just have random punches and kicks coming at you. Some people bruise, some don't. Unfortunately I'm part of the former. Got some pads sorted out so I'll see how they go tonight. Think I'll have to visit the doc soon as my right forearm is still really bruised. I haven't been for two weeks.

What?!

That's not true. I think it's kind of weard way to think about sparring...

If you have an opponent that is "as good" as you are, you propably aren't going to manage perfectly on all the blocks, but that's just bad way to prepare to a fight.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

[/url]

What?!

That's not true. I think it's kind of weard way to think about sparring...

If you have an opponent that is "as good" as you are, you propably aren't going to manage perfectly on all the blocks, but that's just bad way to prepare to a fight.

I'm not saying that good blocks can't be applied in knockdown kumite. I'm saying that they won't look much like a textbook chudan age uke, and there's certainly no 'correct' way to learn them that totally immunizes you from getting bruised arms in kumite.

Lets just say this, in time you will get used to it, and so will you're body. You're body will begin to toughen up.

As far as what to do about it, If you have cuts mat burn, gi burn, scrapes whatever, keep it clean with peroxide and nuskin. For brusis, they really suck, but, I dont take to much stock in many of the whatever remedies that people swear by like Dit Da Jow or tiger balm or whatever, I recomend good old Ice, and maybe an asprin to thin the blood to help take the swelling down. Also if you have any opne wounds or scabs keep them covered no-body wants whatever you might have if you know about it or not. One more thing keep clean, keep dry, prevent staph, even in karate, we still train barefoot dont we? :karate:

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

Lets just say this, in time you will get used to it, and so will you're body. You're body will begin to toughen up.

As far as what to do about it, If you have cuts mat burn, gi burn, scrapes whatever, keep it clean with peroxide and nuskin. For brusis, they really suck, but, I dont take to much stock in many of the whatever remedies that people swear by like Dit Da Jow or tiger balm or whatever, I recomend good old Ice, and maybe an asprin to thin the blood to help take the swelling down. Also if you have any opne wounds or scabs keep them covered no-body wants whatever you might have if you know about it or not. One more thing keep clean, keep dry, prevent staph, even in karate, we still train barefoot dont we? :karate:

Thank you for your concern regarding health and hygiene!